2 Antennas for 1 scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I would like to plug two antennas into one scanner. One of the antennas would be a 30-50Mhz antenna to pick up the CHP, and the other would be a Larsen or Maxrad scanner antenna for the 150/450/800Mhz bands. How do I do this?

Thanks.

LarrySC

This sounds like a mobile installation. You can use a regular TV/VCR type splitter. If you use the MAXRAD NMO kit, It comes with RG-58 and a F-59 will work. You could try a regular "T" connector, but I'm not sure if you would notice any issues with it. The Larsen coil is upside down from the MAXRAD and wiggles it self to death at 70 mph. The MAXRAD is stable because the coil is below center. Look at: www.bncantenna.com for ideas.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
LarrySC said:
The Larsen coil is upside down from the MAXRAD and wiggles it self to death at 70 mph.

The wiggle goes away above 90 mph :)

An ideal mobile set up would be a dedicated lowband antenna like the Larsen NMO50 and either triband antenna. I have both triband antennas mentioned and both work very well.

FWIW, I swept the Maxrad triband and it has a 1.7:1 or less SWR across 15-20 MHz on VHF and about 40 MHz on UHF and 800. I'm using one Maxrad as a TX/RX antenna for one install and it works great.

mcema699

2/1

You can also buy a BNC 'T' connector, depending on space behind radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.