2 antennas on one pole question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If I put a T on my current antenna, run lets say 10 foot pole across. Can I put a HF antenna on one side and a discone on the other side BUT connecting them together? Since one shouldn't effect the other, would this work? Would put a T connector center of the T, then run one coax from there into the house. Doable?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
that's not a good idea, you will be better off with seperate feedlines for each antenna, and yes you can mount them on the same pole if you have enough seperation betweem them.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Will look into that. Thanks pcrguy. Would there be issues if I have my SDS200 and IC-705 connected and running at the same time? Am assuming no since different frequencies but then again, you know what happens when you assume.

prcguy

With a typical diplexer made for amateur radio you can transmit all day long on HF while receiving on your scanner at the same time.

Will look into that. Thanks pcrguy. Would there be issues if I have my SDS200 and IC-705 connected and running at the same time? Am assuming no since different frequencies but then again, you know what happens when you assume.

bill4long

If I put a T on my current antenna, run lets say 10 foot pole across. Can I put a HF antenna on one side and a discone on the other side BUT connecting them together? Since one shouldn't effect the other, would this work? Would put a T connector center of the T, then run one coax from there into the house. Doable?

It would work it you use "diplexers" (small duplexers) on both ends. You didn't specify the frequency range of the discone, so I will assume VHF/UHF since you mentioned SDS200.

This diamond will handle 200w continous and 600 PEP, if you plan to transmit. (Keep in mind that is combined power.)

Last edited:

cmdrwill

I would still have a RF Limiter on the Scanner antenna input... just to be safe.
Had to replace too may burned out 'front end fuses' aka transistors, in radios.

bill4long

I would still have a RF Limiter on the Scanner antenna input... just to be safe.
Had to replace too may burned out 'front end fuses' aka transistors, in radios.

His Icom outputs 100 watts. The cross suppression on the Diamond duplexer is -50db, which means at 100w, the max power bleedover is going to be 0.001 watts. Pretty low, but I agree with you. Unidens are not transmitters, so even that low level of power might present a problem. A second high pass filter into the Uniden would put a ribbon on it.

Personally, I would just run two spans of coax. But sharing a single coax line is doable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.