2 Antennas one scanner with a twist.

woobs420

So I have read and understand the need for diplexers when using two antennas of a different range but I am looking if possible to have kind of a hybrid setup and hopefully someone can tell me I am being crazy or point me to what I might need. For scanning 95% of what I need comes in great with a homemade dual band 1/4 wave (upper is GMRS tuned) GP antenna I made however the station I really want is very weak and depending on weather I barely get it even with a Nooelec Lana LNA in line. So I was hoping to tie in a homemade yagi tuned for 460.3mhz for that one station and keep using the other for the local stuff. Of note I had thought just throw the yagi up and see if gets the others as well as they are so strong but seeing some of the plots with the dead spot behind gave me second thoughts as the stations that are clear come from the opposite direction of course. I still may try anyways for giggles but wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
homemade yagi tuned for 460.3mhz
Try the yagi and see how it does. Then try a Moxon for the same freq and see how that does. I made an 800mhz yagi and certain times of the day I can receive a 800 site 35 miles los with the help of a lna. I made a 460 moxon and can reach parts of NJ from Long Island with that and no lna.

woobs420

Try the yagi and see how it does. Then try a Moxon for the same freq and see how that does. I made an 800mhz yagi and certain times of the day I can receive a 800 site 35 miles los with the help of a lna. I made a 460 moxon and can reach parts of NJ from Long Island with that and no lna.

Maybe come summer time. A Moxon would be hard to mount right now. My mast is just crudely clamped to the house I reach out a window to deal with it. Got an Ed Fong and the 1/4 wave on it now clamping the yagi would be easy and I can just twist to aim. Now in the summer though I should have my old tri-ex crank up tower mounted and useable. One of those tilt then crank deals. Thanks though I might even throw the yagi up tomorrow. Gotta tinker with it some though it's and old tv uhf yagi gotta trim it I would guess and change the polarity. Shouldn't be to hard. Have an antenna analyzer on the way as well:)

merlin

A decent Yagi will be a bit deaf to the sides but close call you can usually at least hear.