2 meter / 70cm base question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Do any ham radio companies make a 2 meter or 70cm, or even a dual band BASE radio? I've been doing some searching online and can't seem to find any. Plenty of HF base radios but nothing otherwise.

Well, I take that back. I did come across one radio a couple of days ago that was, IIRC, a quad band base that included 2 meter and 70cm, but it was around $1500 or so. Waaaaaay out of my price range.

Not that I don't mind hooking my mobiles up to my 30 amp power supply and running them as base radios, but it'd be nice, at least I think it would be, if there was an affordable 2 meter / 70cm base radio. Any idea as to why they are few and far between, or non-existent?

:)

Last edited:

n5ims

No serious market for them. I have had a couple of 2 meter radios that had internal power supplies where by changing the wiring of the power plug (it took 12 connections to handle the power and various jumper combinations) you could power it from 12v DC, 120v AC, or 240v AC) but it still looked like the standard mobile rig. If you really have to have a bonified base station radio you'll probably be limited to the high end HF rigs that will also do VHF and UHF (like this Kenwood Kenwood - ts-2000-b2000-2000x). Most of those will still need an external 13.8v DC power supply to power them. That's pretty much become the power source for most ham gear now days.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Another way to look at it, is, if AC only very difficult to use in vehicle. You either have to get an inverter for AC only, or power supply for DC. I think it is easier to go with DC and just get a power supply.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
No serious market for them. I have had a couple of 2 meter radios that had internal power supplies where by changing the wiring of the power plug (it took 12 connections to handle the power and various jumper combinations) you could power it from 12v DC, 120v AC, or 240v AC) but it still looked like the standard mobile rig. If you really have to have a bonified base station radio you'll probably be limited to the high end HF rigs that will also do VHF and UHF (like this Kenwood Kenwood - ts-2000-b2000-2000x). Most of those will still need an external 13.8v DC power supply to power them. That's pretty much become the power source for most ham gear now days.

That Kenwood is the radio I came across a few days ago when I was doing my search. A lot of nice features, but too expensive for me....at least right now. I guess when I was reading about some of the details, I missed where it said that it requires 13.8v at 20.5 amps.

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.

:)

mrweather

I have a TS-2000 and am very happy with the radio. But, it does a lot more than just 2m/70cm so the price represents the additional functionality.

If you really want such a beast, look for a used Kenwood TS-790. Be prepared for a little sticker shock though...

LtDoc

The typical -new- 'base' radio, meaning one powered directly from AC, are usually the 'top-end' of any brand's line. There just isn't all that much demand for them anymore. There are several (all brands) of the older radios that are AC powered. They have the same 'draw-backs' as any 'older' stuff, not exactly supported by the manufacturer any more. It's really cheaper to make a DC radio than an AC radio simply because of 'demand'. So, finding a 'DC' radio that you are happy with and then getting a 12 volt (nominal) power supply is the 'normal' way of doing it now. Stick the dang power supply on the floor behind something so you don't have to look at it, and just turn the radio off, leave the power supply running. No biggy, probably how most of us do it, you know?
Do whatever makes you feel easiest.
- 'Doc

nd5y

You want a FM dual band base radio? Make one.
Get the mobile bracket that came with the radio, some adhesive rubber feet, a good speaker, speaker bracket, and mic hanger.

Last edited:

w2xab

The difference between a mobile and a base station is the power supply in amateur radio. While most of the ham gear uses 12v DC, there are a few that have had internal 110/220v power supplies, most station operators prefer 12v DC. I use an Astron RM-50M-BB power supply (with external battery backup) to power my station; that way I can stay operational in the event of a power supply.

Most of the commercal manufacturers only make dedicated base stations in rack mount configurations, including repeaters.If a user wants a base station, they mount a mobile in a desktop stand with PS.

John, W2XAB

Status
Not open for further replies.