2 Meter Recommendation for new Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHam

Hello all,

My first post. I live in the Richmond, VA area (far west end).

I will be testing for technician on Thursday. I've been studying for a few weeks and expect to pass.

I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 Meter Mobile radio that can act as a base as well. Also what mobile antennas should I consider. For now I will not mount the antenna permanently. I have two vehicles and need to move the radio between cars. What would be a recommendation for a base antenna as well.

I live within 10 miles of several repeaters (at least as far as I can tell) but unfortunately one is behind a hill that is in adjacent to my back yard.

Thanks so much
DaddyHam

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Look at Yaesu. Specificly the FT-2900. Decent radio, can be computer programmed. They make decent equipment. For a bit more look at getting a FT-7900 or a FT-8800. Both are dual banders. For a Vhf antenna look at a 1/4wave or a 5/8wave, Larsen makes really decent antennas.

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco, etc all have good rigs, it all depends on what features you want/need. You'll definitely need one that will transmit ctcss tones as the main machines in the area require a 74.4hz tone to access. I will say that when you're in the market for a handheld, I reccomend the Kenwood TH-F6A. Three bands (2m,220 and 440) with 5 watts transmit plus wideband receive. There is a 220 repeater in Richmond that has IRLP and is usually conected to another 220 in Charlottesville. Also another 220 in Prince George.

KB1UAM

also the yaesu ft1900 is pretty easy to use. it is strictly 2 meters though. my area can't use 440 repeaters so I'm not familiar with radios that do expect. I know Kenwood makes a 220 440 and a 2m radio, I forgot. the model number though

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you know about the local clubs or not, but this Friday evening at 7:30 will be the Richmond Amateur Telecommunications Society's (RATS) monthly meeting at the West End Volunteer Rescue Squad station. You're more than welcome to join us and see what all radios we have and use. Could give you a hands-on look! Home

DaddyHam

KG4INW - thanks. I did know about your club but did not realize that you meet this week. I will try to get by and meet everyone.

Thanks

K6ARL

My mobile rig is a Yaesu FT-2900 with an SBB-25 antenna. I thought about a FT-1900, but for the extra 10 bucks, I just figured I'd get a better deal by going with the higher output radio. The FT-2900 is easy to program, and the only drawback I have found is that it does sometimes require a fan, but only for prolonged TX at high power. Good luck on your test, let us know when you get your call!
73s
K6ARL

W2NJS

Since no one else mentioned this manufacturer, I will recommend the units made by Icom America which parallel those from Kenwood and Yaesu. I run three Icom 208 dualband transceivers, one in the car, one at home in DC, and one on Devils Knob over at Wintergreen. The ham catalogs, either the print versions or online, contain tons and tons of useful information that you'll find helpful, including lots of antenna stuff.

gcgrotz

I think the 208 has been discontinued but it may be available still. It is (was) a very good radio for the money. I would definitely recommend dual band if you can fit it in your budget.

Any of the good HTs with a good external antenna on your vehicle is probably all you need.

Congrats on the license and welcome to RR. Try the 146.760 repeater from the west end sometime.

W2NJS

The Icom IC-208H is listed as new and available in the new HRO catalog that arrived this week. If the 208 has been discontinued there should still be quite a few available. Icom's site does not seem to include it any longer.

Last edited:

W4UVV

IC208H discontinued

The Icom IC-208H is listed as new and available in the new HRO catalog that arrived this week. If the 208 has been discontinued there should still be quite a few available. Icom's site does not seem to include it any longer.

The IC208H has been discontinued. I bought a new one from Amateur Electronic Supply last month. I highly recommend using software to program it. ICOM software available separately for the 208 is very primitive in respect to user file editing features.

DaddyHam

I just passed technician with a 100%. They talked me into taking the general. Only missed that by a few questions. I can't wait to get my call sign and key the mike. I'm going to test for general at frostfest in Feb. I'm so excited.

Thanks for everyone's support.

vascanner

congratulations....you can find anything you want at Frostfest....if you have the time, take a trip up to Ham Radio Outlet in Woodbridge Va, near Potomac Mills..... You can turn knobs, spin dials, and look at all the antenna selections they have. On my truck I run a Yaesu dual band mobile and a Larsen antenna that looks like a cell phone antenna...... it works good for anything around Richmond, VHf and UHf....a bigger, more efficient antenna can help you out if you are traveling, or further from the repeaters.

DaddyHam

vascanner,

Can you tell me what the model # is for the larsen antenna. I've been looking at Larsen antennas this morning. But I'm pretty confused. I guess there is no clarity without going through confusion.

Eric

vascanner

Eric,

I finally got out to look at the antenna....it is a Larsen "special"....was the only marking I could find on it. I looked at several websites and it does not appear that they make this model any more. Comet makes something similar, and I have used Diamond antennas as well. I have a real nice dual band model that has gain on both VHf and UHf. The best thing to do is check out some at a shop. A lot of marketing people tell me that people buy most products based on looks....

Good luck. There are some real good folks over at the RATS club

Home

Status
Not open for further replies.