2 meter simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4DAN

We launched a high altitude balloon about 2 weeks back from Carrollton GA that had a simplex repeater on it (https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98). I think we were running an 146.550 frequency which obviously is even more quiet then the normal 520. Almost immediately after launch, we had 2 guys in AL come on to the repeater and say hi (100+ miles) and were surprised to hear activity on their normal simplex frequency. Then after that at about 15-20k ft we picked up a couple guys from Augusta/Savannah, GA. Finally, up around 40k ft, we had 3 guys from KY check in with us and again were very surprised to learn they were going through a simplex repeater.

Unfortunately at 63k ft, the repeater and APRS beacon stopped responding and we lost the balloon. My theory is the HT on 7w killed the single battery we were running since the repeater was getting a lot more use then we expected. We have still yet to find the payload. :(

We probably could have had the HT on 1w or even less and it would have still worked great. An antenna at 40k feet definitely gets out very well! :)

I could only imagine if someone did this with a simplex repeater on .520. You would probably get quite the pileup.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Years ago I was a part of launching a few ballons. Our payload consisted of a cross band repeater, a camera and an APRS beacon. I would recommend a cross band repeater over a simplex repeater for two reasons. 1 the repeater does not do the 'store and forward'. 2 if you can get a hold of an FT-530, TH-79 or some other portable that had cross band repeat capibilities you only need one piece of equipment rather than 2, also if you use a J-pole or some other light, home-brew antenna dual band antenna you only need one antenna for the repeater. 3 Do not run more than 2 watts, as you stated at 40k+ you donot need much power, and at that level batteries should last along time.

When it comes to the APRS power the APRS beacon seperatly. I helpd with a chase a couple of weeks ago the had a UofAlberta Physics experiment payload and we chased it with the APRS running less than 500mw output we had no issues with tracking even though the last gated position was over 1700m elevation. We did cheat a little, by having 2 mobile iGates, as Digi coverage is not 100% along the flight path.

One of the most sucessful ballon launches I was a part of in about 1997 we uses a Sat station as repeater net control, with the Az/El antennas we were able to work the repeater for most of its flight, plus for that flight we were looking for endurance and went on the assumption that we would not recover the payload. The club I was with had a pretty decent portable sat station. That may or may not be possible depending on what kind of gear you have avalible. The sky really is the limit wether you are looking for max time of flight or you really want to recover the payload, the possibilities are truly endless.

KK4DAN

Yeah, this technically wasn't my balloon launch, just assisted with it. You make a lot of good points and I think some of this stuff we've probably learned the hard way about a few things.

I hadn't thought about cross band repeat since I've never owned a HT with that capability, but you are right that would make things easier for sure.

I agree 1-2w max should be fine and the battery will last a lot longer for sure. And definitely APRS needs to be on its own battery. Even maybe a back up low power CW transmitter to do a fox hunt on if necessary.

I'll have to bring up that idea of a cross band repeater HT for next time

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Really the sky is the limit, for the cross band repeater, we used Uhf446.000 for uplink and 146.520 down link. The CW back up is a great idea. I cannot remember what the Max payload mass is but that should not be too much of an addition to over all mass. Ballon chasing is really a fun time and I have really enjoyed the chases I have been involved in

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
We launched a high altitude balloon about 2 weeks back from Carrollton GA that had a simplex repeater on it (https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/p...products_id=98). I think we were running an 146.550 frequency which obviously is even more quiet then the normal 520. Almost immediately after launch, we had 2 guys in AL come on to the repeater and say hi (100+ miles) and were surprised to hear activity on their normal simplex frequency. Then after that at about 15-20k ft we picked up a couple guys from Augusta/Savannah, GA. Finally, up around 40k ft, we had 3 guys from KY check in with us and again were very surprised to learn they were going through a simplex repeater.

Unfortunately at 63k ft, the repeater and APRS beacon stopped responding and we lost the balloon. My theory is the HT on 7w killed the single battery we were running since the repeater was getting a lot more use then we expected. We have still yet to find the payload.

We probably could have had the HT on 1w or even less and it would have still worked great. An antenna at 40k feet definitely gets out very well!

I could only imagine if someone did this with a simplex repeater on .520. You would probably get quite the pileup.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That simplex repeater,have you used it before on the ground? How does it work?

KK4DAN

The repeater part worked fine. We did a little testing before hand just to make sure we had it setup and it worked fine. It basically just records what it hears and plays it back. There are different settings you can change things and tweak it here and there. The limiting factor is going to be your antenna and radio on how well overall it works.

In our case, it did exactly what we needed. Offered a way for the chasers to stay in contact while following the balloon and getting out of simplex range of each other and not having to worry about moving around to a bunch of repeaters.

What we didn't realize is how many more contacts we were going to make from how far the signal was reaching. :lol:

timkilbride

Database Admin
We launched a high altitude balloon about 2 weeks back from Carrollton GA that had a simplex repeater on it (https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/p...products_id=98). I think we were running an 146.550 frequency which obviously is even more quiet then the normal 520. Almost immediately after launch, we had 2 guys in AL come on to the repeater and say hi (100+ miles) and were surprised to hear activity on their normal simplex frequency. Then after that at about 15-20k ft we picked up a couple guys from Augusta/Savannah, GA. Finally, up around 40k ft, we had 3 guys from KY check in with us and again were very surprised to learn they were going through a simplex repeater.

Unfortunately at 63k ft, the repeater and APRS beacon stopped responding and we lost the balloon. My theory is the HT on 7w killed the single battery we were running since the repeater was getting a lot more use then we expected. We have still yet to find the payload.

We probably could have had the HT on 1w or even less and it would have still worked great. An antenna at 40k feet definitely gets out very well!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ballons guys around here use 446 on a store and forward repeater. The controller is VOX activated, which does work, but not well.

Tim

magillapd

When I'm sitting at my desk I always turn the radio on. If I'm busy doing other things, I just set it to 146.52 and 446.000 (dual band Kenwood TM-V71)

One day while making out bills, I heard someone key up on 446.000. I talked to him for about 15 mins. It was a good QSO.

I think that all folks with the capability should monitor the simplex call channel, you might just be the person who hears a call for help.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
When I'm sitting at my desk I always turn the radio on. If I'm busy doing other things, I just set it to 146.52 and 446.000 (dual band Kenwood TM-V71)

One day while making out bills, I heard someone key up on 446.000. I talked to him for about 15 mins. It was a good QSO.

I think that all folks with the capability should monitor the simplex call channel, you might just be the person who hears a call for help.

I monitor the main 2 meter simplex channel on one of my scanners for regular calls and help calls.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

jaymatt1978 said:
I too have 146.5200 programmed in all my adios, including scanners and transceivers

Same here mainly use it when we travel.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

jaymatt1978 said:
I too have 146.5200 programmed in all my adios, including scanners and transceivers

Same here mainly use it when we travel.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
I always have 146.520 and 446.000 in the scan list along with a few other simplex channels. One of those things " just in case of " ....... While pulling my camper to different places you can usually get help if you need it but calling out on it and find a local rptr or another simplex freq to goto. I got lost one time and a truck driver was listening to 520 simplex and got me on the right road so I always try to listen to all that.

Simplex itself is always a great thing to play with. Our club has a weekly 2 meter net and the first one of the month is simplex. Always good to test things on these nights.

kc8mln

Dont forget about the use of "LiTZ" on simplex when you are calling for emergency assistance. "LiTZ" is Long Tone Zero and is used as an ATTENTION alert so others know that following the LiTZ will be a station calling for emergency assistance!

K4APR

When it comes to the APRS power the APRS beacon seperatly. I helpd with a chase a couple of weeks ago the had a UofAlberta Physics experiment payload and we chased it with the APRS running less than 500mw output we had no issues with tracking even though the last gated position was over 1700m elevation.

Was the tracker an RTrak-HAB by any chance? http://www.rpc-electronics.com/rtrak-hab.php

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Not sure what it wasd, but most of the guys user Argent stuff here, it was probably the hi altitude one with the 300mw transmitter

K4APR

Not sure what it wasd, but most of the guys user Argent stuff here, it was probably the hi altitude one with the 300mw transmitter

That would have been our RTrak-HAB. We use the OpenTracker 1+ data engine on-board. The transmitter is an SRB MX146LV 350mW transmitter. Did you work with Barry Sloan VE6SBS at all? He was my partner in Canada to get those trackers into the hands of the UofA guys.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Lol yea, Barry, his son and James ve6srv, a bunch of the crew from the UofA are hams too, I had only met them that day and do not remember all of their names. I rode with another ham who is also a member here on the forums as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.