2 meter simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Yes they are. I had a lot of fun that day. Can not wait for the next launch some time next year

geoff5093

I listen to 520 all the time in the car and at home. If people are on 520 and I want to call a station I will politely break in and let them know I need to call someone, and then they move off frequency. If they are being an *** about it I would just call anyways in between their transmissions. For rag chew I use 147.570, or the standard 146.550 or 146.580.

KC9ICE

I always monitor 146.520 for the same reasons everyone has listed (possible emergency calls, fun simplex contacts, aero-mobiles, etc) but if i know i am going to be rag-chewing i try to use 146.550 (de facto storm-chaser frequency) assuming of course that there's no severe weather nearby. My circle of friends also have a 70cm simplex freq that's used as a "convoy" channel, and a 2m simplex freq that's more of a "quiet channel" emergency calling channel.

Morgan1058

I try to monitor 146.520 MHz continuously both mobile and base just in case someone needs assistance, but rarely hear anyone on it. I have my callsign and 146.52 on my rear window of my SUV and once in a blue moon have someone on the highway give me a call on it. Times I've needed assistance and tried to call on it I got no answer in various locations around the country. I wish we could go back to using the LiTZ Decoders (Long Tone Zero on DTMF) to open up a speaker when you want it quiet unless someone needs assistance or whatever they transmit the Zero key for about 5 seconds and it opens the circuit to your external speaker. That way you can monitor a busy frequency and not be disturbed unless someone purposely hits the Zero key for 5 seconds for an emergency or whatever need. I used to have one of these back in the early 80's but haven't seen one in years and years... if anyone knows where to get one let me know, please!!! 73, KA4ADF

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
That strikes me as such a good idea that I put it on the end of my repeaters scan set just in case someone calls. Scanning all the simplex channels takes to long but this should work, I think. We'll see.

kk4ioh

Premium Subscriber
I have both 146.520 and 446 set to scan in all my radios.

I have picked up a couple of aero-nautical mobiles via .52.

Status
Not open for further replies.