• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

2 Meter - The New "CB"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just got back into the States after a 3 year "vacation" and noticed on 2 meters that there are people using echo mics and "CB Talk".

What happened to ham radio?

I wish I would have brought a UHF radio as it doesn't appear that 70 CM is affected - yet.

cschmit

rescue161 said:
Just got back into the States after a 3 year "vacation" and noticed on 2 meters that there are people using echo mics and "CB Talk".

What happened to ham radio?

I wish I would have brought a UHF radio as it doesn't appear that 70 CM is affected - yet.

Hmm Interesting, none of that going on my area.

Napalm

It's starting to happen in the UK, but when haven't the amateur bands had a minority of idiots on them (licenced or no).

The advice is "ignore them they'll go away" :D

Tom_G

Not in CT

We don't have any of that in Connecticut.
We have some heavily linked repeater systems that give great coverage across the state and I have never heard any if that type activity.

Hope they go away soon.

elk2370bruce

This is not happening in our area. Numerous repeaters, well controlled, and a distinct minority of Lids. All it takes is to police our own and instruct newbies. If no-one says anything, those few are just gonna continue these bad habits.

NeFire242

Let's not stop there. Plenty of people here even say "73's" when it's "73" and the use of Q Codes on phone, improper channel steps for simplex freqs, and so much more.

Complaining here doesn't solve the issue at hand, why don't you get on the air and show them the proper way to operate and set an example.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I wasn't really complaining, just trying to get a sence if anyone else is experiencing what is going on here.

I know what you mean though with the other things that you listed.

cschmit

traumacop said:
What happened?

They removed the code requirement for 2 meters. It was only a matter of time.
I think the issue is more that people on the repeaters aren't stepping in and putting thier foot down when something is said wrong or the system is abused. The repeaters in my area make sure that people know when they have "Stepped over the line", in fact it happend just the other day and things were straigtend out. Self policing needs to step up, that is the answer. The dropping of the Code requirements is not the problem.

STiMULi

A couple of years go in SOCAL I heard stuff that blew my mind. The only people that were IDing were those that were trying to get the idiots off the repeater. I ended up reading where someone was busted by the FCC all the mess going on there.

Where were you talking about the problems?

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Yes. Here is socal we have plenty of nutjobs on 2m. There is a repeater on 147.435 that makes CB Channel 19 look G rated.

rhutch

traumacop said:
What happened?

Makes a really big difference as all those who are on HF behave so well, give me a break.

brandon

Database Admin
traumacop said:
What happened?

HF has its share of problems too. When Art Bell used to be on 3840 there were plenty of jammers and idiots who seemed to have a beef with him and would always come up on freq and play music, curse and just be plain obnoxious. I've also heard some clowns jamming on 3950 and 14313 in the past.

STiMULi

traumacop said:
So only those that give a damn about code would never improperly use he designated spectrum?

PUHLEASE!

I don't think knowing code or not knowing code ever stopped some idiot from buying a radio off of ebay, hooking it up to an antenna and then keying the mic.

Using your logic, perhaps they should have never started using voice. Attitudes like yours is why I will fight forever for all of HAM to become code free as far as a requirement goes.

nd5y

2 meters is pretty bad in parts of North Texas.
I haven't heard any hams with CB type sound effects so far but I have heard plenty of CB terminology.

Always remember 2 meters in Roman numerals is 11 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.