• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

2 Million Dollars Awarded In Lawsuit Over 4 Year Old's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Jury in Virginia has awarded 2 million dollars to the parents of a 4 year old who was run over and killed by a lawn mower at his daycare sometime earlier this year. The kicker is the party that has to pay: The manufacturer of the lawn mower has been found guilty of not producing a lawn mower with blades that stop upon going backwards.

WHAT THE HELL? First off unless that particular mower was explicitly built for the purpose of running over kids the company could have no knowledge that such an event would happen. Second, what about the operator of the mower? How do you not see an object/person as large as a 4 year old kid? Around here everyone operating lawn equipment stops what they are doing when an unprotected person comes near, is that not standard practice to reduce liability everywhere? Third, a mower that stops its blades on going backwards? No such product has ever been built, much less tested and thus would likely be MORE dangerous than the one involved here.

I hope this gets overturned because now Ford can be sued for every kid that gets run over by their cars because we all know they dont have kid detecting lazers on the front that kill the engine when a toddler is crossing the street.

MacombMonitor

That is ludicrous!

OK, so the blades on the mower don't stop when you back-up...why should they?

The operator is capable of turning his head, and looking behind him when he backs-up...why didn't he?

The Day-Care staff is capable of watching a four year old, and keeping them out of harms way...why didn't they?

Even if the blades had stopped, would that have saved the child's life? Probably not if they were still run over!

But we live in a society where no one takes responsibility for "their" actions, and wants to blame everything else. Then there is the money factor! In situations like this, parents always insist it's not about the money. Hum...two million dollars??? That doesn't bring their kid back! It doesn't even teach the mower operator, or the Day-Care staff a lesson! It only punishes the mower manufacture, and everyone who purchases a mower from this day on, because added cost will be factored in for additional idiot-proof designs, and liability.

I can't imagine what those parents must be going through. It's very sad.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
it's called deep pockets. This could have been a small day care with little assets and not a big insurance policy. So the shyters have to find some little something that they can accuse someone else of that has money. In this case it was the manufactuer of the lawn mover. Automobile manufactuers are sued as a result of accidents. All you have to do is get a verdict that has some little small percentage responsibility for the big company and they end up paying the whole amount. It is a shame, but that's the way it goes.

it's called deep pockets. This could have been a small day care with little assets and not a big insurance policy. So the shyters have to find some little something that they can accuse someone else of that has money. In this case it was the manufactuer of the lawn mover. Automobile manufactuers are sued as a result of accidents. All you have to do is get a verdict that has some little small percentage responsibility for the big company and they end up paying the whole amount. It is a shame, but that's the way it goes.
Really? Cool! Next time I stubb my toe on a curb Im going to sue TXI (largest concrete maker in TX) and I'll be rich! Afterall you need to take into account how much the medical bills and emotional suffering is going to be....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TXFirefighter112 said:
Really? Cool! Next time I stubb my toe on a curb Im going to sue TXI (largest concrete maker in TX) and I'll be rich! Afterall you need to take into account how much the medical bills and emotional suffering is going to be....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what they get for not developing curb concrete that automatically sense when a toe is about to make impact and make the curb spongy. Then you could sue TXI for tripping you when you step on the unexpectedly spongy curb.

TXFirefighter112 said:
Third, a mower that stops its blades on going backwards? No such product has ever been built, much less tested and thus would likely be MORE dangerous than the one involved here.
Not true. My zero-turn rider's blades stop when I back up. It's actually quite annoying.

WTF would the day-care center staff let kids out when there was lawn equipment in-use?!

When people don't take responsibility for their own actions, society suffers. If society doesn't hold people responsible for their actions, society suffers.

trimmerj

Years ago I used to ride my 6month old daughter on my sholders. One time I put her up there and was walking around the kitchen and suddenly I hear a Thwap Thwap Thwap and she starts crying............ It was the ceiling fan hitting her head. Took her to the doctor and Dr say's it happens all the time. Never did tell the wife.......... kid was okay and I've been forgiven by my daughter

USAPatriot

I'm going to step in front of a car and sue because it didn't have pedestrian airbags... -Rod-

flyingwolf

trimmerj said:
Years ago I used to ride my 6month old daughter on my sholders. One time I put her up there and was walking around the kitchen and suddenly I hear a Thwap Thwap Thwap and she starts crying............ It was the ceiling fan hitting her head. Took her to the doctor and Dr say's it happens all the time. Never did tell the wife.......... kid was okay and I've been forgiven by my daughter
I actually did that this evening, was tossing the kiddo up as usual and he wanted down, unknown to me he turned my fan on in the office, so I am working on some sites and eh wants to me tossed again, BOOM 3 smacks straight ot the head, no damage to him (he is my son after all, has my hard head), but I am afraid the fan needs a couple of new blades now.

Dont think I am gonna tell the wife either.

Though it is going to be hard ot explain the fan blades?
hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.