2 Questions About The Charleston P25 Digital System

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Does Charleston County EMS ever use the "Night" talk groups listed on the Database page?

2. Does the South Carolina Highway Patrol use the talkgroup ID's listed on the Database page for Charleston County P25? I haven't heard anything but figured they are just for later use much like the City of Charleston's digital ID's. They are still on analog. Never hurts to ask.

Thanks guys.

marke241

I can't answer the question about EMS using the "night" talkgroup. As far as SCHP using the County P25 system, they are not. They still use the Palmetto 800 system.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
SCHP has the ability to use the Palmetto 25. Its not just the Charleston County system. It is the first regional phase of the P-25 upgrade of the Palmetto 800. Currently they may not use the new system, but they do have the ability. All state of SC agencies have the ability as radios are programmed and given out. SCHP had tg's on the old analog CC TRS, and have tg's on the HC TRS, as well as other "local" TRS's, but primarily use the Palmetto 800 for operations. As the Palmetto-25 grows you will see them begin to use it.
As far as the "Night" tg's I think that these tg's are more of a backup/overflow usage in case the primary ones are overloaded. These are "grandfathered" in from the old TRS. All agencies had "Night" tg's which may have been used back when the system first began. But over the years usage declined, and I only heard one "Night" tg used the entire 3 years I lived there. And it was used in the daytime as an secondary/tactical ops during an event. Basically Charleston County just took all their tg listings from the analog and duplicated/cloned it to the digital system. If you spend much time monitoring the area comms, youll find MANY tg's for North Charleston, and the county that are not used anymore but have never been removed from programming lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.