2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Can someone please explain the threshold settings and what they do and how do I get them set for the best reception of my state's new digital system. (Illinois) AND How do I lockout or unlock individual talk group id's when I am using "wildcard". Thank you for any info

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Can someone please explain the threshold settings and what they do and how do I get them set for the best reception of my state's new digital system. (Illinois) AND How do I lockout or unlock individual talk group id's when I am using "wildcard". Thank you for any info

If you are using a wildcard and you wish to lock out a particular TG, you'll have to (1) add that talkgroup specifically and then (2) lock it out.

I can't answer your question about threshholds.

Mike

Patch42

Unless you know the threshold settings are wrong, I'd leave them alone. Pretty much, if you have to ask someone about them, meaning you don't fully and completely understand how they work, I'd trust that GRE set them correctly at the factory. (I'm in that same boat, so no insult intended.)

For the wildcard, when it activates you should get a softkey on F1 that says TGL/O. Just push F1 to lock out that talkgroup.

hoser147

Timmer, Im just getting to experiment with it recently. Seems to change somewhat when a weather front comes thru or other atmospheric changes are taking place. I found this in the GRE knowledge base Hope it helps ya.

Getting the most out of Multisite
Solution The PSR-500 and PSR-600 scanners include a special "MultiSite" functionality that enhances operation on Motorola and P25 trunked radio systems that utilize multiple networked sites to cover a large geographic area.

To understand how MultiSite works, it is important to make the distinction between "simulcast systems" and "networked" systems. Both types of systems have multiple sites, but they are quite different in how they operate.

A simulcast system utilizes two or more sites, up to 15 depending on the technology. Each site is exactly the same in terms of number of transmitters and the frequencies that are used. When a channel is assigned to a voice call by the trunking system controller, the assigned frequency transmits the call from every site in the system simultaneously, providing simultaneous multi-site coverage to the service area.

A multicast system utilizes two or more sites, up to very many sites, for example, in statewide systems. Unlike simulcast, the exact same frequencies are not utilized at each site. The sites operate independently of each other, relying on the trunking system controller to keep track of where various subscriber radios are in the network, and assigning calls to the necessary sites as users roam in and out of the coverage footprints for sites in the network. In multicast systems, a "site" can be a single RF tower site with its own set of frequencies, or, a simulcast "cell" that has multiple sites with the same frequencies, as described above. In a multicast system, a simulcast cell is treated as just another single site, even though the simulcast cell will have more than one site.

MultiSite is an advanced user concept that requires some experimentation, and even then, due to location, variability and system designs, not all users will be happy with the results for a given system or location within that system, and may be better off not using the feature and programming/selecting the desired site manually.

MultiSite "Roam" is used when you want the radio to automatically find and use the best available site as you move around in the service area of the system. The trick to getting good performance from MultiSite Roam is to optimize the Threshold Hi and Threshold Lo values on an individual basis for each networked site. You'll want to use the Analyze function to study the CC quality numbers that you see for your system, then set Threshold Hi to correspond with the CC value that you consider to be the minimum for good performance. Set Hi too high, and your radio will never find the system.

Then, you should set Threshold Lo to correspond with the value where you want the radio to give up on the current site and start looking for another site (which, of course, must have a decode quality that exceeds the Threshold Hi number that you set earlier in order for the radio to find and use the new site).

MultiSite "Stat" is used when your location is more or less fixed, and you wish to monitor traffic on any site that is within range of your location. With MultiSite Stat, the radio will sample each control channel in the TSYS control channel list to see if trunking control data is present. If trunking control data is present, the radio will sample the control channel momentarily, and play any voice calls that match programmed TGRPs or Wildcard objects for that system. Most users will probably find that the MultiSite feature works very well once it is optimized properly. If you are not satisfied with the performance of MultiSite after you optimize the Threshold Hi and Threshold Lo values, for example, you feel that you are missing too many calls, consider programming the sites individually, and not using MultiSite to track the system.

Good Scannin Hoser

ww7b

Psr500/600 Threshold

A little trick here I will share for weak trunked systems.
Even is there is only one transmit site, try putting system on roam.
Next, set the threshold hi = 45 and the low=15.
Yes, you will get some noise here in there, but it does allow for reception of weaker P25 and analog trunked systems. Overall, I think the default of the Hi setting of 95 is too 'tight' for even medium level signals.
Happy Scanning ! Morgan WW7B

timmer

Thanks very much Morgan. I will try those settings. After much fiddling around with this radio I have settled on setting it to "roam". And have my hi setting at 97 and low at 77. I'll try lowering them and see what that does. I'm mostly trying to find a way to eliminate that digital noise and garbled audio which comes on intermittently and is totally unpredictable. It may be impossible but I'll keep trying.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm mostly trying to find a way to eliminate that digital noise and garbled audio which comes on intermittently and is totally unpredictable. It may be impossible but I'll keep trying.

Keep in mind this sometimes happens on the subscriber radios as well, and isn't always the fault of your scanner. Lots of times I'll hear a garbled transmission, or just plain digital noise and the next transmission you will hear is "Can you repeat that? You went digital..."

Status
Not open for further replies.