2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmetts

I just bought this scanner. I love it so far...worked great, out of the box.. (also have the GPS for it). But I do have 2 questions.

1. Somehow, while playing with buttons, I have it scanning weather frequencies also. Obviously, when it hits the weather channel, nothing else comes through.. Can anyone tell me what I did to turn that on, and how to turn it off? I have been through the menus multiple times and can't find it... and that darn book is way too big to find anything in.

2. The USB cable that came with it has a regular USB on one end and a Mircro (I think) USB on the other. Of course, the scanner and my computer both have a regular USB port...can I just get a plain usb to usb cable, or do I need something special.

Part B. of that question is, can I pop the MicroSD card out, put it in my computer, program it with sentinal and put it back in.

Thanks a million for the help.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
1. I am guessing that you turned on Weather Priority. Press Channel to hold on any channel. Then Function + 6 to turn off WX Priority.

2. You have to connect the USB cable in the micro port in front of the scanner.

Yes you can remove the Micro SD card out and use it in your computer.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
If you hit the zip button enter your zip code it will start scanning.
It is maddening that there is no scan button....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just bought this scanner. I love it so far...worked great, out of the box.. (also have the GPS for it). But I do have 2 questions.

1. Somehow, while playing with buttons, I have it scanning weather frequencies also. Obviously, when it hits the weather channel, nothing else comes through.. Can anyone tell me what I did to turn that on, and how to turn it off? I have been through the menus multiple times and can't find it... and that darn book is way too big to find anything in.
Sounds like you may have inadvertently 'saved' a search or close call hit for the weather frequency. <FN>+<Avoid>+<Avoid> should disable it. (<FN> is the Function button. Press down on the scroll knob to activate Function; You'll see an 'F', white on a black background, in the upper left corner of the display when FN is active.)

However, you may want to "read" the scanner back into Sentinel, so that you can see where the WX frequency was saved. Could be in a 'Close Call hits" system, or in a search. That will let you remove or lock it out permanently. Otherwise, if you do a database update and write any saved favorites lists, you'd just turn that annoyance back on.

I don't think this is because of WX Priority mode, since unless you stopped on WX and hit Enter, WX Priority Mode would periodically scan the weather radio frequencies, looking for the tone that precedes warning announcements. It should not stop on Weather and hold there unless triggered by a tone. You can check Weather Priority in your profile in Sentinel, on the WX tab.

2. The USB cable that came with it has a regular USB on one end and a Mircro (I think) USB on the other. Of course, the scanner and my computer both have a regular USB port...can I just get a plain usb to usb cable, or do I need something special.
That scanner end is a "mini-USB". It's not a special cable, you can find those cables in various lengths, 3 ft and up, on Amazon or Monoprice, as well as others. Micro-USD is smaller than Mini-USB, and is the cable type used by most Android cellphones and tablets.

Part B. of that question is, can I pop the MicroSD card out, put it in my computer, program it with Sentinel and put it back in.

Thanks a million for the help.
Yep, you can do that. Get a card reader that will directly accept the mini-SD card, or if your PC has a standard size SD card slot, then get the adapter that lets you use the mini-SD card in a standard SD slot. The adapters generally come with a new card purchase. Buying an extra card is a good idea, as you have a ready to go backup on hand if needed. Sentinel will write data to the card reader faster than using the USB cable and putting the scanner in mass storage mode. Kust be sure to turn the scanner off before pulling the card out,

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While stopped on a Weather frequency when doing a weather scan, you can press the Function knob (big silver knob) then the System button to resume scanning.

The USB cable is standard, nothing special. Yes you can put the SD card in a card reader slot on the computer and read/write to the card. In fact if you have a lot of "stuff" to pass back and forth, using a card reader is faster.

Ubbe

and that darn book is way too big to find anything in.

Download the pdf version and hit ctrl+F and enter "weather" to search trough it for all related text to the weather function. Super easy to find solutions in the electronic pdf manual.

/Ubbe

rmetts

Thank you all for the help..I had self solved the first problem..(finally found it after digging through the menu for 30 minutes..lol). The second question, I was beginning to think that you used the one on the front, but wasn't sure..thanks.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.