2 quick NYPD questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonkar

I hear the dispatchers asking for "final" or "finals"? And they seem to be asking the same units this qietion several times in a tour. Anybody know what that means?

Also in the unit phrase "Emergency Service Adam9" What does the "Adam" mean And what does the number mean?

Thanks. Even though you guys don't know it, you all have indirectly answered allot of questions for me over the past several months.

K

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Forgive me if I am not totally correct, it's been a few years since I've ridden down there. Final probably means final disposition of call, GOA gone on arrival, etc. Each area of the city has an ESU division, my area was 10, in Queens, then each truck was listed as Adam, first unit, Boy, second and so on.

vsny

Forgive me if I am not totally correct, it's been a few years since I've ridden down there. Final probably means final disposition of call, GOA gone on arrival, etc. Each area of the city has an ESU division, my area was 10, in Queens, then each truck was listed as Adam, first unit, Boy, second and so on.

Your memory is pretty damn good radioman as far as the Adam,Boy,Charlie issue. Now, as far as finals--that also was correct, because "central" looks for the final disposition (status) of jobs given to all units. The "old days" required a unit to return a completion of a job and "central" would give them another.
There is a built in electronic "reminder" that shows up on centrals dispatch terminal, to ask for a final on a job after 10 minutes (not sure of that time frame) as units respond to more calls like "I'll back that unit up" or "show us responding also" and give back finals later.
Usually the question is asked most, just prior to a meal or when the unit signs off at the end of the tour. Hope this helps.

astonkar

Hey thanks for the intel. UHM... is there a list of said ESU divisions? and that 2nd post makes allot of sense after what I was hearing last night. Thanks guys.

K

astonkar

nypd-SPRINT

anyone know what "SPRINT" means? I kow its an acronym for Special Police Radio Inquiry Network, but I don't really know what that means in enhlish. Thanks

K

comspec

I am pretty sure they make up the name first then try to figure out what it stands for second. Don't get too excited about what makes SPRINT a Special Police Radio Inquiry Network Terminal. It simply is the computer aided dispatch software that they use, that Software That We Use (SWTWU) didn't sound as cool as SPRINT. (SPRINT=FAST RESPONSE Etc.)

It's all about the marketing.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
LOL...Fat Nellie was SPRINT at the precinct level... FATN, acronym Fat Nellie...but points for effort! I was voice of the 5th and 6th Divisions on the late tour in 1980 through 1982, then on the day tour before I left to become a court officer.

danlewis

Feed Provider
Old thread but...FATN stood for Field Administrative Terminal Network. It was much more than SPRINT at the precinct level. It was a message switch based on a system call Honeywell Action. It provided a gateway to SPRINT, but also to NYSPIN, NCIC and internal PD systems. It died a slow death in the mid-1980s and was replaced by the "FINEST" system, also a gateway to many common queries needed at the patrol level. FINEST lives on to this day.

There is an old story, and I may get parts wrong, of a cop on the late tour at the 44 Precinct named Spider McGee. He got annonyed one night when either the system was down or he could not get some information and he shot the terminal.

The FATN terminals were bulky CRT machines made by Olivetti. Security was provided by a padlock placed over the keyboard when unmanned. However, the password was a common password, usually posted on the wall somewhere in the vicinity of the terminal.

When the FATN system was updated to the Finest system, the terminals were replaced by Memorex Telex SNA terminals. Later, during the precinct LAN projects, diskless workstations were implemented running Novell Netware and had terminal emulation modes to access the Finest system.

ff026

Feed Provider
"There is an old story, and I may get parts wrong, of a cop on the late tour at the 44 Precinct named Spider McGee. He got annonyed one night when either the system was down or he could not get some information and he shot the terminal."

Close but no cigar.

He came in for meal. Back then the SPRINT terminal was behind the desk. The desk officer told him he couldn't go to meal until the screen was clear, meaning all the jobs in the que were assigned.

Spider shot the terminal, and told the DESK OFFICER, "it's clear now"

Status
Not open for further replies.