2 Scanners,1 Drake R8B, one antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

detsf79

Premium Subscriber
Hello, all-
I browsed through the posts regarding multicouplers & such, but couldn't find my solution. I'd like to run the above equipment on the one antenna (for now). Would 1 multicoupler for V/UHF work, or would I need to get an additional one for HF to use the Drake? (I've already tried the cable TV splitter route, too much loss.) I've e-mailed Stridsberg on this, so far no response.
Thanks in advance!

ke5ldo

You wouldhave the worst of both world. better to have te larger antenna for V/Uhf, since it is line of sight. Use a separate antenns, evenif it near a window as a long wire in the inside for HF. Otherwise you will encounter intermod amd mega losses. Hope this helps. Outdoor antennas are always better. KE5LDO

k9rzz

To me, that looks like a compromise that's bound to fail. Jut put up a real VHF antenna and then lay a wire on the floor behind your desk for HF. It will probably work better than that thing on HF.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually you might want to ditch that 'wire on the floor' for something a little better. Such a layout is going to pick up every noise source in the vicinity. You want to get away from that, and since the winter is here, stringing up an antenna outdoors might not be the best idea (particularly in -52 degrees in ND - sheesh!).

If you have a good sized attic, putting up a skyloop or the carpet loop will help keep picking up the noise sources down somewhat. The Carpet Loop is a bit more work - you need to construct a switchbox - but it's not beyond the skill set of even someone like me, that isn't all that good with power tools. I built one and had it up in my attic for some time - worked like a champ.

Our HF Antennas has the link for the plans. And as for the Skyloop - just wrap as much wire as you can in a series of loops (each loop separated by a couple of feet each) and bring the 2 ends to a 9:1 Transformer, and feed that with coax.
The Shortwave SWL antenna yahoo group has plans and discussions about building a transformer (some of the discussions are fairly technical), and if you're into that, you'll find a good amount of information on it there.

Loops are the indoor listener's best friend, no doubt about it. Is it going to equal a good outdoor antenna? Obviously not - but it's probably as good as you'll get. You could even put the PAR SWL antenna up there. Anything to cut down on the noise - the bane of the indoor DXer...

73 Mike

detsf79

Premium Subscriber
Don't have an attic, but presently have a discone on a 18' mast that I use for both V/UHF (2 scanners) and HF (the R8B) thru a T-connector. HF works pretty good, but the scanners could be better. I could go for a separate HF vertical, though.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Verticals are nice for long-distance stuff, but have one major weakness - they pick up noise sources quite easily. You would need to mount the antenna well away from the house and other noise sources for it to be viable - and I would imagine you've got enough snow up there now to make that impractical. It does depend on your local environment, of course.

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Don't have an attic, but presently have a discone on a 18' mast that I use for both V/UHF (2 scanners) and HF (the R8B) thru a T-connector. HF works pretty good, but the scanners could be better. I could go for a separate HF vertical, though.

As others have said, you need to separate your HF and Scanner antennas. That T- connector will mess with both antennas and will kill any kind of efficiency you may have.

Use the discone for your scanners but make a simple wire antenna for your Drake R8B. That's a nice radio and deserves a decent antenna to perform as it should.

If you want to buy commerical, then look at the Par End-Fed SWL antenna. It's perfect for the Drake.

Par Electronics EF-SWL End Fed Dipole SWL Antenna. Par EF-SWL.

or you could add another antenna to your mast - something like this:

Apex Radio 303WA-2 Shortwave antenna. ApexRadio

It won't have the performance of the PAR antenna, but it's better than using a scanner discone for HF.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmph - for much less than 1/2 the price of the Apex, you could build something. Nice marketing, but still, yet another vertical, and just as prone to noise sources.

73 Mike

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
I was using a 350' long wire on my R75 and the noise level was way too high, switched to the Par End-Fed SWL and the noise level dropped to nothing on most frequencies. I can't say enough good things about the PAR

If you want to buy commerical, then look at the Par End-Fed SWL antenna. It's perfect for the Drake.

Par Electronics EF-SWL End Fed Dipole SWL Antenna. Par EF-SWL.

It won't have the performance of the PAR antenna, but it's better than using a scanner discone for HF.

SCPD

QRT
Hmph - for much less than 1/2 the price of the Apex, you could build something. Nice marketing, but still, yet another vertical, and just as prone to noise sources.

73 Mike

Mike, I would normally agree, but I've heard good things about this antenna's performance. Even in the city, a few users attach it to their balcony railing and it performs quite well with low noise.

I think the key is getting it up high. I may have to try one of these out just for curiosity sake. (Put it up on a 20ft mast on top of the roof.)

SCPD

QRT
I was using a 350' long wire on my R75 and the noise level was way too high, switched to the Par End-Fed SWL and the noise level dropped to nothing on most frequencies. I can't say enough good things about the PAR

Yes, I use the same system as the PAR. I have about 300ft of Flexweave #14 stranded wire which works really well. It curves up high and all around the backyard fence.

Noise can be a problems at times, but a few filters help with that. My BCB filter of DC-1.8khz takes care of the AM crap. For the money, it's a steal.

Filters RF | Telephone

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike, I would normally agree, but I've heard good things about this antenna's performance. Even in the city, a few users attach it to their balcony railing and it performs quite well with low noise.

I think the key is getting it up high. I may have to try one of these out just for curiosity sake. (Put it up on a 20ft mast on top of the roof.)

Interesting Nick. I think you hit the nail on the head though about getting it up high. If you can get the antenna outside the noise field around the dwelling, it may well work OK. 18-20 foot might be enough...

Of course, it's a heckuva lightning rod that good 'ole Ben Franklin (who is generally credited with its invention) would have appreciated...:D

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.