2 scanners 1 feed *trouble*

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Hoping somebody can help me out. I have 2 BC-350A scanners that I want to run into one feed. I have the cables all hooked up and can shift my balance on the PC from left to right and it works properly. I have law on right and fire on left. Works great through the PC speakers. For some reason both Simplecast and Oddcast will not split the left and right. I don't have much hair left to pull out so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Kevin

richtidd

Database Admin
Hoping somebody can help me out. I have 2 BC-350A scanners that I want to run into one feed. I have the cables all hooked up and can shift my balance on the PC from left to right and it works properly. I have law on right and fire on left. Works great through the PC speakers. For some reason both Simplecast and Oddcast will not split the left and right. I don't have much hair left to pull out so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Kevin

Look here:
Connecting Your Equipment - The RadioReference Wiki

N2ZPY

Feed Provider

I have that part done. I made my own cable. It works through the sound card and I can choose which side I want to listen to on the speakers. The trouble I am having is with the programs not wanting to seperate the channels. I am figuring that if it is working correctly with the speakers that this is an issue with the streaming software.

Kevin

richtidd

Database Admin
I have that part done. I made my own cable. It works through the sound card and I can choose which side I want to listen to on the speakers. The trouble I am having is with the programs not wanting to seperate the channels. I am figuring that if it is working correctly with the speakers that this is an issue with the streaming software.

Kevin

What are you using?

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
I made my own cable. I have steered away from this being the issue though as it works fine through the line in to the speakers.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
I get the same thing running K1PGV's software. This has me baffled because it works fine through the sound card to the speakers.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You have "Enable Stereo Input" selected on the Advanced tab, yes?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hmm...odd. I hate to ask the obvious, but you are using Line In and not Mic, correct? I assume so since you already made it clear that the playback through the speakers is keeping L and R separate.

Download and install the Peak Level Meter 1.7 from this site, then right-click on it once it's running to get to the settings page. Change the Decay Rate to 10 and select the input device. Now you can visually verify that the L and R channels are indeed separate.

Audio Level Meter

The next step I would take is to create a stereo recording with Audacity (or other audio editing software you might already have) to verify that the channels are remaining separate.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

One other thing to check in the Windows Master Volume control panel is that the specific Line In is selected as the active recording device, and not Stereo Mix.

Last edited:

JRR4607

Premium Subscriber

thanks

Kevin

I had the exact same problem that you did, I purchased this Aircraft 2" Adapter 1/8" Stereo Jack to 2 1/8" Mono Plugs - RadioShack.com at Radio Shack. Connect one end to one scanner and the other end to the other scanner then run your line to your line in on your computer, then go to your volume controls, click right and open up playback devices, then click speakers, levels then look at line in levels, this should be set to zero only if you do not want to hear your scanner through your speakers. Next go to your recording levels and click line in, then levels. This is where your scanner can be adjusted for left and right balances so others can hear your audio. I'm also using Oddcast V3. When connecting to this, everything should automatically start working.

hoser147

I have been using Oddcast and 2 scanners for a little while now, with hardly no issues. Knock on wood. Plugged them in together and changed the bitrate to 32 and changed it to 2 channels joint stereo and adjusted the volume levels (lower) as they worked kinda backwards and away I went.

SCPD

QRT
Two thing's:

I had issues when I set up my Stereo feed. The Mic jack would not accept the feed, I moved to Line in and that fixed it.

Second: are you guys changing your bit rates from 16 to 32? If not, you'll need to. And your Y-Adapter MUST be dual Stereo. I made my own also and they didn't work. the Y-Adapter is only 5 bucks or so.

Last edited:

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Looks like everything is better this afternoon. A quick trip to town for a different soundcard and as far as I can tell it is working.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.