2 scanners and a BNC T connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I used to have a multicoupler and im thinking of getting one again, But somewhere on the internet I saw someone running a t connector with bnc conector running a BC15xt and a BCD996XT.

What are your thoughts and or just buy the muilcoupler 4 port or 8 port from ScannerMaster??

wtp

i say try it

it can't hurt. years ago there could have been intermodulation between the two and there is a much smaller chance now. and the signal will be cut down some. i used a tv splitter for a while with a scanner and a frequency counter with one antenna. but i was mobile and could not put too much stuff on a work truck.
it worked great as i only wanted local stuff anyway. without amplification there will be loss, but see if you can live with it.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Do the multicoupler if your budget can stand it. Buy it direct from Stridsberg. Otherwise, use the cheap cable TV splitter so you have some isolation between the receivers. The cable splitter will cost you half your signal loss but that's much better than no receiver to receiver isolation.

If you have strong signals the cable TV splitter will work fine, but if you have marginal signal strength, you really need the multicoupler to salvage weak signals. I use the Stridsberg MCA204M 4 Port multicoupler with good results. Their are many threads regarding this subject and you should read what others have said about the splitter v. multicoupler debate. Good luck!

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Do the multicoupler if your budget can stand it. Buy it direct from Stridsberg. Otherwise, use the cheap cable TV splitter so you have some isolation between the receivers. The cable splitter will cost you half your signal loss but that's much better than no receiver to receiver isolation.

If you have strong signals the cable TV splitter will work fine, but if you have marginal signal strength, you really need the multicoupler to salvage weak signals. I use the Stridsberg MCA204M 4 Port multicoupler with good results. Their are many threads regarding this subject and you should read what others have said about the splitter v. multicoupler debate. Good luck!
Yes I have had a 4 port Multicoupler before and I will get one, but im gonna try this and see how it goes! I will follow up!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I use a T connector on my feed scanner as well as my HP-2 general listening scanner, to a Yagi antenna with no problems. I have tested with and without the connector and the second scanner and the reception is the same.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I used a BNC "T" connector for sometime. It worked pretty well. I only moved up to the Stridsberg MCA204M 4 Port multicoupler since I wanted to run more than 2 scanners on the same antenna.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I use a T connector on my feed scanner as well as my HP-2 general listening scanner, to a Yagi antenna with no problems. I have tested with and without the connector and the second scanner and the reception is the same.

Sounds good! Thanks:cool:

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I used a BNC "T" connector for sometime. It worked pretty well. I only moved up to the Stridsberg MCA204M 4 Port multicoupler since I wanted to run more than 2 scanners on the same antenna.

Very good thanks for your input!
:wink:

jim202

Not all scanners function the same. Some radiate a signal more than others. It is always better to run your multiple scanners sharing the same antenna through a pre amped multi coupler. This provides additional isolation between the different scanners. You won't be hearing a pulse or steady signal if another scanner stops on a signal. Generally these birdies will be at an offset of the signal and plus or minus of the IF frequencies of the receivers.

Using just a splitter, you introduce additional attenuation that will vary depending on the number of ports the splitter has. Like a 2 way splitter will only deliver about 50% of the received signal the antenna captures to each port. A 3 way splitter will only deliver 33% of the received signal the antenna captures to each port.

So you see the received signal drops like a rock as you go to a higher number of ports on the splitter at the scanners. Not what your really looking for. This is why your better off with a multi coupler that has amplification built in. This way there is no loss ans in many cases a slight amplification of the input signal at each of the ports. Plus you also get the isolation between the ports.

trp2525

+1
I second that!

Status
Not open for further replies.