2 Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
How can I have 2 scanners fed off one antenna? Would I just buy a spliter for my coax cable and feed the 2 cables off the splitter two my 2 scanners?

Looking to hook up a BCT15X and a BCD996P2 fed from one antenna.

Thanks

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Moved to the proper forum (after 2 years and over 200 posts I wouldn't consider you a New User :wink:).

majoco

Stirrer
Personally I run three scanners off three antennas - no need for multi-band antennas - just one antenna for each frequency band. There's not a lot of interesting stuff above 500MHz here.

Ubbe

I did a test now. Try first with a T connector. If both scanners are on the same frequency band they will split the signal evenly between each other and the resulting signal are the same as a CATV 1-2 splitter. If the other scanner are on another frequency band the signal are better than using the CATV splitter.

If one of the scanners have some stray signals comming out of it's antenna port, and most scanners do, you will get "birdies" that the scanner stops on dead carriers when you use a T connector but will not be noticed with a CATV splitter. When you use a T-connector and one scanner stops on a weak signal you will notice that the signal level goes up and down when the other scanner are scanning different frequency bands. You could stop the other scanner while it is on a "good" frequency band to hear that weak signal better. With a CATV splitter the signal are always on the weak level and never improves as it does with a T-connector but then you could suffer from those interfering signals from the other scanner.

/Ubbe

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider

wtp

you must have a TV splitter

and if so just try it.
it can't hurt.
it is how i plan on testing the ones i have when i get them all together.
there is an 800Mhz system near me that is weak, and i figure if i split it, and still hear it,it is working.
i also have some BNC to F connectors around.

Status
Not open for further replies.