2 Scott's Run Nature Preserve Resues In FFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

2 different Scott's Run Nature Preserve Rescues in 2 days in McLean/Fairfax on Rt 193/Georgetown Pike near I-495. Main parking lot/access is at Swinks Mill Road and Georgetown Pike.

Both incident involve multiple responders from Fairfax, Montgomery and US Park Police.

Boats launched by Montgomery, US Park had helo support, Fairfax had ATV & smaller Jeep/Explorer on VA side.

Approximately 3 pm Sun 6th of July, adult male fell about 30-40 feet to the rocks near rivers edge. Was non responsive. Moved from shore via FFX, to Mont boat, taken to island in middle or Potomac. US Park Helo used basket to lift patient into Helo and airlifted to local hospital with life threatening injuries

Approximately 24 hours later, 3:30 pm Mon 7th July, adult male fell about 20 feet to the rocks hear rivers edge. Apparently some sort of leg injury. Initial plan was to move from shore by FFX, then transfer to boat by Mont, then possibly airlift with US Part Helo. In the end, patient was stabilized, FFX determined they would be able to get patient back via VA side to smaller vehicle near rivers edge and transport. US Park Helo stayed on scene but was down to about 100lbs fuel then broke from scene once Mont boats made it back to MD shoreline.

I have been to this area quite often, very dangerous spots, difficult access and there is not a good location for VA to launch boats from VA shoreline. So mutual aid from Mont is quite necessary for river work on the VA shoreline in this area. Not much useful access from VA shoreline except above Great Falls as Algonkian and as far south as Reagan National at Gravely Point. Then access near the American Legion Bridge is very difficult if not possible due to the Little Falls Dam and rapids between Little Falls Dam and American Legion Bridge.

Mont seems to be able to launch from C&O Canal Lock #10 and ramp near Old Anglers Inn on MacArthur Blvd on MD side of the Potomac.

Agencies seem to work together very well and current radio system with multiple agency access worked seamlessly with the exception of occasional spotty coverage in the deep gorges and heavily wooded areas.

Shows how well the agencies can work together on these types of events. Unfortunately a LOT of resources are required for recuses in this specific area.

gesucks

There are multiple boat ramps on the Fairfax side, north of the beltway and south of Great Falls that Co 12 uses on a regular basis. Boats from Mont are always sent for 2 reasons. 1 The River is in MD and their responsibility. 2 A river response usally requires at least 3 boats, 2 in water and 1 for safety/rescue. Fxx 12 only has 2 boats so ST10 and 30 from Mont are sent as well for calls started by FFX most of the time

JamesO

There are multiple boat ramps on the Fairfax side, north of the beltway and south of Great Falls that Co 12 uses on a regular basis. Boats from Mont are always sent for 2 reasons. 1 The River is in MD and their responsibility. 2 A river response usally requires at least 3 boats, 2 in water and 1 for safety/rescue. Fxx 12 only has 2 boats so ST10 and 30 from Mont are sent as well for calls started by FFX most of the time

Thanks for the reply.

Can you advise where the multiple boat ramps are between Great Falls and the American Legion Bridge? Not aware of any "quick and easy" access points in this area, but probably some areas I am unaware

Was aware that the water belongs to MD/DC depending on the location. VA stops at the edge of the water, age old water rights battles as well due to all of this!

It was interesting to hear that there were 3 boats in the water, must be the protocol as you mentioned with one for safety/rescue. Seemed a bit much, but along this section of the Potomac you have to be ready for anything as I realize this is a very unsafe and dynamic area. Looks are very deceiving and it is amazing how quickly conditions can change in this water.

It is crazy how many resources are quickly used up on what likely starts as a simple hike in the woods for someone.

freqhopping

There are multiple boat ramps on the Fairfax side, north of the beltway and south of Great Falls that Co 12 uses on a regular basis.

I don't think so. Below Great Falls to Angler's Inn it's a gorge with a pretty much sheer face. Otherwise I'd be launching my kayak there. The only place to even launch a kayak is Difficult Run and that is a hell of a hike due to the trail getting washed out in a bunch of places several years ago. I tried it once.

The NPS site still says "Caution: A section of this trail has washed out and is less than six inches wide in some places. There is a steep drop off down to the stream itself. Use caution while hiking. It is not possible to ride horses through that section of the trail. Bicycles will need to be carried."

The only other time I've had my kayak out in that area was after launching from Angler's Inn.

The only place I hear Co12 launch for training is Riverbend Park.

JamesO

I don't think so. Below Great Falls to Angler's Inn it's a gorge with a pretty much sheer face. Otherwise I'd be launching my kayak there. The only place to even launch a kayak is Difficult Run and that is a hell of a hike due to the trail getting washed out in a bunch of places several years ago. I tried it once.

The NPS site still says "Caution: A section of this trail has washed out and is less than six inches wide in some places. There is a steep drop off down to the stream itself. Use caution while hiking. It is not possible to ride horses through that section of the trail. Bicycles will need to be carried."

The only other time I've had my kayak out in that area was after launching from Angler's Inn.

The only place I hear Co12 launch for training is Riverbend Park.

I am all ears, maybe there is some VA access that I am unaware of?

This is what I am thinking, nothing much between Great Falls and Gravely Point/Reagan National on the VA side??

Then you have Little Falls Dam and some rapids to deal with in between.

River Bend is North/Upstream from Great Falls.

Difficult Run and Scott's Run are not really launch points but you can get access and maybe launch an inflatable?

I can even walk from my house to the river along Dead Run, but there is NO WAY to get access there or even Turkey Run.

Nothing between Scott's Run and Turkey Run that I am aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.