• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 Tone for G5 on Harris P25 Phase II System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone successfully set up the 2-tone for a Unication G4 or G5 pager on a Harris P25 Phase II system? The problem I am having is with 65xxx talk groups that are routinely patched to our dispatch talk group. If the dispatch TG is not patched to a 65xxx TG, the pager is silent (as desired) until the 2-tone is detected. However, if the dispatch talk group is patched with a 65xxx TG, ALL traffic is heard on the G5 (with the 65xxx ID being displayed) without a 2-tone activation- when it should be "silent" or in private.

I like this radio and would love to get this working. I've changed things around in the PPS and haven't looked at it for a couple of weeks- so I really don't know what additional damage I may have done :sneaky:. I would like to take a look at it again, but just looking for suggestions from someone who has seen this. Thanks!

tdeater

Here's my theory as to what is going on. I suspect your pager is programmed to page on talk group activity, not 2 tones. So, even if dispatch is sending the 2 tones on that talk group, your pager is going to alert anyhow due to the channel activity. Once they patch the regular radio traffic to the paging talkgroup, then the pager is thinking it is receiving a page with every transmission.

Early on in the P25 paging, the pagers were tripped by talkgroup activity only, no tones or other signalling was needed. So, you would create a page talk group for each department and the only thing that wold ever come across that TG would be pages for that dept. At some point, unication added the 2 tone capability, so you could have multiple departments page from the same talk group using 2 tones, just like the analog days. In cases like my state where they charge per page talkgroup, it saves you that cost of setting up multiple talkgroups.

Now how to fix it, it's been a while since I have messed with those settings. Looking at mine, on the zone and channel setting, under the knob position in question, I think you are looking at the Binding Feature dropdown, it should be set to 'Sub-Group Feature' if you are doing 2 tone over p25. There then is a button all the way at the bottom for sub groups to configure them.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input.
Here's my theory as to what is going on. I suspect your pager is programmed to page on talk group activity, not 2 tones. So, even if dispatch is sending the 2 tones on that talk group, your pager is going to alert anyhow due to the channel activity. Once they patch the regular radio traffic to the paging talkgroup, then the pager is thinking it is receiving a page with every transmission.
I haven't had a chance to look at my settings, but if I understand what you are saying, I don't think this is the issue. It only alerts for the 2-tone... but the issue is it will pass the voice traffic through the pager whenever a 65xxx TG is actively patched to the Dispatch TG.

... I think you are looking at the Binding Feature dropdown, it should be set to 'Sub-Group Feature' if you are doing 2 tone over p25. There then is a button all the way at the bottom for sub groups to configure them.
This is exactly where I found things very confusing. I will go back and look here, too. Thanks!

mdsxfire

EDBM
Thanks for your input.

I haven't had a chance to look at my settings, but if I understand what you are saying, I don't think this is the issue. It only alerts for the 2-tone... but the issue is it will pass the voice traffic through the pager whenever a 65xxx TG is actively patched to the Dispatch TG.

This is exactly where I found things very confusing. I will go back and look here, too. Thanks!

I had mine programmed for 2 tone and set up the sub group so that when our tones went out it alerted(with a minitor pager alert) then went and scanned our dispatch and ops channel. It worked fine but every time it received a tx on our dispatch channel I would get a high pitched beepfor a split second even if I changed to a knob programmed to just scan our TG. Deleted all the 2 tone data and have it set up just to scan and it doesn’t do it, I posted this issue and contacted unication and no one could seem to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
... but every time it received a tx on our dispatch channel I would get a high pitched beepfor a split second even if I changed to a knob programmed to just scan our TG. Deleted all the 2 tone data and have it set up just to scan and it doesn’t do it, I posted this issue and contacted unication and no one could seem to figure it out.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. When I started having problems I made some changes and got assistance from my dealer. I ended up with different zones that I was testing. At some point I had the same issue where the TG would beep whenever there was any activity.

I am currently using mine as a scanner, as well. I would prefer to have it activate correctly. My dealer has sent the file to Unication (at least twice), but no solutions so far.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Just an update. My dealer sent the beta firmware to me and suggested I give it a try. I've been running the new firmware since Friday and it seems to be working great.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Any word on when the actual release is, and what the changes are?

I don't know a release date and haven't seen a list of the changes. I have seen an option to mute encryption. I can't remember exactly how it's worded. My G5 would periodically re-boot for no apparent reason. This problem appears to be solved since the beta. Fingers crossed.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I can't wait for the new firmware so I can test it out when I travel to Rockbridge and kill the encryption

• Haha
Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.