• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 Tone Gate Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2radios

Hi,

The radios we use at work operate our electronic gates. From what I'v heard they operate via 2 tone?, but can someone please explain how this features works? How can a radio control a gate? Can you also program a radio to open/close a garage door?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
You key your radio and send a 2 tone signal. The radio at the gate receives the transmission and decodes the 2 tones and causes the radio to output a signal to trip a relay. The relay is connected to the gate open/close switch. The same thing could be done with a garage door.

New2radios

You key your radio and send a 2 tone signal. The radio at the gate receives the transmission and decodes the 2 tones and causes the radio to output a signal to trip a relay. The relay is connected to the gate open/close switch. The same thing could be done with a garage door.

Can you set this up to remote access pretty much any power device? If I'm setting this up do I keep the ground connected on the device and connect the positive lead to the device? What's the voltage or max amp sent from the mobile radio?

Could I use mdc or 5 tone instead?
Do you need dtmf options?
On the Mobil radio you are using decode or encode?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the output of the radio. It would most likely be either a high or a low output and would sink or source only a few milliamps thus the need for the interface relay. Look at the radio programing to see how/which pins on the radio can be programed for detecting the proper 2 tone code and what is their voltage/current rating . The contacts on the relay would be chosen to handle the voltage and current rating of the device to be controlled.
Any signalling method can be used depending on the radio. You would need a radio that would encode the signaling and a receiving radio that would decode the signaling.
BB

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Additional information: There are several companies that have DTMF decoders that you hook up to the audio output of the radio to decode the DTMF tones and trigger a relay or multiple relays with different DTMF tones. This might be easier than building an interface to the radio accessory pins. Lookup DSchmidt Technologies. We use them for all kinds of things at our shop.
BB

New2radios

Thanks for the info: I want to use a Kenwood TK-8180 that we have as the receiver. I was thinking about using the ground to trigger instead of the positive since I don't think I can't get out the correct voltage from the back of the mobile radio. I think the max is 5v and would need 12v to trigger the device.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On the TK-8180 (and the TK-7180) you can pull 12 volts off pin 14 on the rear DB-25 connector.
It's switched on and off with the front power switch, along with the radio.
It's limited to 2 amps maximum.
Ground is available on pin 7 and 18.

You would need to use one of the AUX output or AUX I/O pins and a 5 volt relay to control a 12 volt device.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Whoa, not correct. If you want to control an external device via a signalling scheme (selective call) of the radio, you would use the horn alert logic line. This line is only available on a connector inside the radio, not the 25 pin accessory connector. The horn alert line does not have enough poof to drive a relay directly. The best thing to do is get the Kenwood KAP-2 option board which has a 2 amp relay and its contacts terminate on a 6 pin molex connector that's on the end of a pigtail coming out the back of the radio. With that you could Rube Goldberg anything you'd want to control with the radio.

Sans the KAP-2, you could still tap into the horn alert line, but you'll have to invent a buffer circuit to be able to drive a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.