20-164 trunking progrmaing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travistrain

I am new at this whole trunking thing.

I have a brand new radioshack 20-164 triple trunk.

Now what do I do? I live in baltimore county, maryland

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=189

What do i do with this information on this site?

do i put all the frequencies in a bank or just the red ones?

I need a complete instructions or tutorial!

SAR923

You just need the red ones, also known as control channels. Check in the Wiki section here for a better understanding of trunking.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
SAR2401 said:
You just need the red ones, also known as control channels. Check in the Wiki section here for a better understanding of trunking.

Specifically the 'overview' section of....

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Note that anything in blue (or underlined, as in the wiki) is a link.

The 97 should work just fine for Baltimore and Anne Arundel county, but won't work at all with Harford or Baltimore city, as they use a digital format which the 97 cannot handle.

73 Mike

travistrain

none of this makes sense. I HAVE ALL OF BALT COUNTY FREGUENCYS STORED IN A BANK

NOW WHAT ?????????????????????????

travistrain

CStarr59 said:
Calm Down, Enable the bank with frequencies programmed in and press scan. Do you hear anything?

yea, you hear mostly hear some weired sound like a ideling truck. once in a wile u will hear police talking

it isn't trunking yet is it?

Last edited:

N8IAA

travistrain said:
yea, you hear mostly hear some weired sound like a ideling truck. once in a wile u will hear police talking

it isn't trunking yet is it?

No. It is not programmed in the trunking mode. You need press MAN button, press PGM, then press T. Then press the MODE button, use the up or down keys to go to MOT, press ENTER. You must put all the ControlChannels in MOT mode also. Then you will be in the trunking mode. The best and easiest way is to download Win97 at http://www.starrsoft.com
Get the USB cable at radio shack and download the scanner to the software. It makes it easier to see how it has to be programmed.
Larry

travistrain

3 questions

once you go to trunking and goto MOT

it says:
Motorola TGID#
MOT:
&
ID#

what are these 3 things?

N8IAA

travistrain said:
3 questions

once you go to trunking and goto MOT

it says:
Motorola TGID#
This is the talkgroups for your county FD, PD, county services. On the page below the CC's, is where you will find them. They are programmed into 5 separate TGID banks. Just like the bank, the individual frequencies can be alohataged, along with the TGID's.

MOT:
This means that you are in Motorola mode.

ID#
Same as TGID#.

what are these 3 things?

Does that help?
Larry

travistrain

thanks

now that i have it programed on to trunking how do i goto and list to main fire dispatch wich is
DEC / HEX / Alpha Tag / Description
16 / 001 / MAIN 1 / Fire - Main Dispatch (Simulcast with 46.46 MHz)

ALSO,
Right now i listen to it on the simulcast becuase its the only way i kno how to listen to just the main fire dispatch. How do you switch to a talk group for example i just herd them say:
switch to talk group D (david) 1

SRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS but i wont stop being confused untill i understand it fully

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Travis, I would take the questions like 'David' to our Maryland forum, where we have a very active set of scannists there that can answer questions like this.

What do you mean by 'list'? If you have talkgroup 16 (often abbreviated tg16) in a scan list, when it comes up, the scanner should display it along with the tag you've assigned. To listen to only those tgs you've programmed, you must be trunking in closed mode (I believe that's the RS term - Uniden is different).

73 Mike

[edit] This 'Easier to Read' manual link might also be helpful...

http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/97/97.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.