20-car pile-up on I-76 in Portage County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
Several emergency crews from Portage County were called to approximately a 30-car accident in the eastbound lanes on Interstate-76 near the Rootstown and Edinburg township lines.

Reports from police dispatch traffic indicated at least one semi tractor-trailer had jack-knifed. Emergency personnel reported a possible 20-car pile-up behind the initial crash, but the reported number of cars involved increased to 40.

ODOT crews reportedly are trying to make their way to the scene as well as emergency crews, but dispatchers indicated most of the safety vehicles were stuck in traffic.

Maureen Bachman, spokeswoman for ODOT District 4, said I-76 eastbound, both lanes, is closed. The posted detour is S.R. 44 to U.S. 224 to S.R. 534 back to I-76. The accident happened just east of the Industry Road overpass.

The Ravenna Post of the Ohio Highway Patrol reported the interstate closed between S.R. 14 and S.R. 44.

At around 2 p.m., Portage County Sheriff Duane Kaley issued a Level One advisory for Portage County roadways stating road conditions are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Motorists are advised to drive very cautiously.

Kaley said as the snowfall continues and road conditions deteriorate the warning will likely be raised to Level Two advising only those people who feel it necessary to drive should be out on the roadways.

Status
Not open for further replies.