• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

20 kHz / 25 kHz confusion (16K0F3E)

xhci

I know this has somewhat been beaten to death, but I am still confused.

It seems that my Wouxun GMRS radios (KG-S88G) comply with the 16K0F3E emission standard based on the FCC test documents, which would suggest 20 kHz channels (and 4 kHz deviation??). However, the spec sheet lists them as 5 kHz deviation.

Part 95E also mentions 20 kHz bandwidth, and 25 kHz spacing (I’m assuming for legacy 25 kHz bandwidth radios before the standards changed).

The reason I’m asking - western states have been adopting GMRS/FRS emergency channels in some places, and I’d like to know how to program some backcountry part 90 radios to be “most compliant” for emergency purposes.

So which is it? 20 kHz or 25 kHz bandwidth for GMRS?

edit: I also think I’m mixing up some terminology here - I think I meant 16K0F3E = 16 kHz bandwidth vs 20 kHz for 20K0F3E. Its very confusing!

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Just don't overthink it. The emission designator essentially represents the widest occupied bandwidth. The reality is 4.0 kHz versus 5.0 kHz doesn't really make a difference as under most normal operating circumstances, a user won't deviate above 4.0 kHz even when operating in 5.0 kHz deviation.

20 kHz occupied is pretty common to see on 25 kHz channels (allows for 2.5 kHz of guard space on either side).

xhci

Just don't overthink it. The emission designator essentially represents the widest occupied bandwidth. The reality is 4.0 kHz versus 5.0 kHz doesn't really make a difference as under most normal operating circumstances, a user won't deviate above 4.0 kHz even when operating in 5.0 kHz deviation.

20 kHz occupied is pretty common to see on 25 kHz channels (allows for 2.5 kHz of guard space on either side).
Interesting - thanks! Now just out of curiosity... if a radio is said to use emission standard 16K0F3E, would that imply it's 4 kHz deviation, and 20K0F3E mean that it's 5 kHz? I gather that in practice it doesn't make much difference :)

nd5y

To figure the approximate FM bandwidth you need to know the peak deviation, the highest modulation audio frequency and Carson's bandwidth rule.
Most radios limit the voice audio to the range of 300-3000 Hz. I don't know how much this varies.
Add the deviation and highest audio frequency (in the same units) and multiply x2.
If the max deviation is 5 kHz and the max audio frequency is 3 kHz then 5+3=8 and 8x2=16 so the theoretical maximum bandwidth (on audio peaks) is 16 kHz.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Carson's Rule addresses these questions.

The occupied bandwidth (BW) is 2 times the sum of the highest audio frequency of modulation (fM) and the FM deviation (fD).

For radio communications, fM is usually accepted to be 3000 Hz.

So, for +/- 5 kHz deviation, you have BW = 2 (3000 + 5000) = 16 kHz.

+/- 4 kHz deviation would be BW = 2 (3000 + 4000) = 14 kHz

+/- 2.5 kHz deviation (aka narrowband) would be BW = 2 (3000 + 2500) = 11 kHz

Do not confuse transmitted bandwidth with channel spacing. Bandwidth is a physical property of the transmitted signal. Channel spacing is an administrative decision made by regulating bodies. You normally want your channel spacing to be greater than the bandwidth, but there are exceptions.

xhci

Understood. I was also getting tripped up by the 20/25kHz bandwidth option in Motorola CPS, which I think are probably just 5 kHz deviation, and getting confused by wideband channel spacing regulations.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Understood. I was also getting tripped up by the 20/25kHz bandwidth option in Motorola CPS, which I think are probably just 5 kHz deviation, and getting confused by wideband channel spacing regulations.

Depending on what radio you have, the CPS might go by channel width or deviation to define wide/narrow operation.

xhci

This seems to confirm everything everyone has said (from the maintenance manual of my radio)IMG_1036.jpeg