200 Folders Plus A Default Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so the TRX-1 can.function as 200 different scanners. Does this mean that there are 200 folders total or 200 folders plus the Default Folder. Also, what is the purpose of the Default Folder?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Okay so the TRX-1 can.function as 200 different scanners. Does this mean that there are 200 folders total or 200 folders plus the Default Folder. Also, what is the purpose of the Default Folder?

That isn't correct, there are 200 scanlists, but 20 Scansets which each have 200 scanlists and act as separate scanners as you put it. The default folder is where new entries are saved unless you specify another scanlist (if you do not want to save it in the default folder you must turn it off when entering the freq).

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Scanlist is set of channels to listen to, scanset is different scanner configuration.

Say you routinely go between two states/counties, well Scanlist 1 is fire 2 is police etc for area one. This is scanset 1. But when you go to area 2 you have a totally different set of freqs and scanlists so you put them in scanset 2.

N8IAA

What is the difference between a ScanSet and a ScanList?

The TRX has 20 ScanSets which are comprised of 200 ScanLists EACH. You can only run one ScanSet at a time. ScanSets are useful for those that travel a lot. If you stay in one area, you won't need more than one ScanSet.

The ScanLists are where you program your trunk and conventional systems. You can potentially have 4,000 lists loaded onto the SD card within the 20 ScanSets.

Can't dumb is down anymore than that. I certainly have never filled up 200 ScanLists on either of my GRE and Whistler scanners. You wouldn't be able to monitor that many at one time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can use multiple scan sets at the same time. A scan set is a group of scan lists. I have my WS1080 set up with a different county in each scan set. I use 10 scan lists per county. I use them like groups or departments in Uniden scanners. Scan set 1 enables or disables scan lists 1-10. Scan set 2 enables or disables scan lists 11-20. Scan set 3 enables or disables scan lists 21-30. Each scan set enables or disables all 10 scan lists associated with each county.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You can use multiple scan sets at the same time. .

Please explain to me how you "can use multiple scan sets at the same time". As far as I know you can only use ONE scan set at a time and if you want to use another scan set you have to disable the first one.

I've yet to be able to scan 400 scanlists at once, which is what happens if you use multiple scan sets at the same time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I've yet to be able to scan 400 scanlists at once, which is what happens if you use multiple scan sets at the same time.
I actually have 15 scan sets assigned to 10 scan lists each. I turn on the scan sets for the counties I want to monitor. I do it all of the time. It works! There are a maximum of 200 scan lists. Each scan set does not have its own set of 200 scan lists. Under the Advanced Features tab, you select which of those 200 scan lists are assigned to each scan set. The same 200 scan lists are shared by all 20 scan sets.

RDGDigital

Please explain to me how you "can use multiple scan sets at the same time". As far as I know you can only use ONE scan set at a time and if you want to use another scan set you have to disable the first one.

I use multiple scansets all the time with my TRX-1 and WS1080. Here's what I do...

For the county I live in, I have several scanlists for police, fire, ems, etc. I assign all these scanlists to scanset 1. For the county to the east of me, I also program the police, fire, ems, etc. I assign all these to a different set of scanlists, wich I assign to scanset 2. Ditto for the county to the west of me, assigning the scanlists to scanset 3. I actually have 14 scansets programmed for different counties, and 5 more for some state and military agencies.

Now, depending on what counties/agencies I'm travelling near to, I just activate multiple scansets and I can hear them all. It works quite well for me as I no longer have to turn on/off many individual scanlist. Instead I can turn on/off the scansets I need.

As far as being able "to scan 400 scanlists", you can't there are only 200 scanlists, which can be assigned to one or more scanlists. And, these scanlist can be assigned to one or more scanset. There is not 200 scanlist for each scanset, there is only the one set of 200 scanlists.

I believe you may be confusing scansets with V-Folders. Yes, V-Folders are like having multiple scanners with each having their own set of scanlists & scansets, which can not be activated with scanlist & scansets from other V-Folders.

Hope this helps explain, (also hope it doesn't confuse anyone).

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
As far as being able "to scan 400 scanlists", you can't there are only 200 scanlists, which can be assigned to one or more scanlists. And, these scanlist can be assigned to one or more scanset. There is not 200 scanlist for each scanset, there is only the one set of 200 scanlists.

RDGDigital is correct about nomenclature being confused, but should examine the section I quoted here. He's right about everything else. Tvengr is also right in what he's saying. N1GAW and N8IAA are both confusing Scan Sets with V-Scanners. Let me give it a try:

1 - When you turn on your TRX-1, there are 200 Scanlists available and you can scan them or skip them in any combination. Each scanlist can have has many or as few objects (frequencies or talkgroups) as you care to assign to it. And you can assign a single object to more than one scanlist if you like.

2 - One of those scanlists will be the 'Default' scanlist--which is the scanlist to which any new frequency you enter is assigned unless you indicate otherwise. The usual default Scanlist is Scanlist #1. You can set any of the 200 scanlists to be the 'Default'.

3 - IF YOU WISH (i.e. this is optional), you can assign any of your 200 scanlists to one of 20 Scan Sets. In the initial setup of your radio ALL scanlists are in Scan Set #1, and you can leave it at that if you wish. A Scan Set may include as many or as few Scanlists as you want, and you can include the same Scanlist in more than one Scan Set. Scan Sets are there so that IF YOU WANT, you can toggle multiple scanlists in and out of the scan as a group. You don't have to use them if you find them confusing.

NOTE THAT ITEMS 1, 2 & 3 are all in your scanner when you turn it on--in one single programming (V-Scanner).

4 - Your scanner can have up to 200 different complete configurations or personalities stored, and these are called "V-Scanners". Think of these as files on your memory card that you have to call up. Each of these 200 personalities contains everything that I described in items 1, 2 & 3 and you can customize them any way you want. To be clear, each V-Scanner has 200 Scanlists which can be sorted into up to 20 Scan Sets.

5 - You cannot use more than one V-Scanner at a time. Think of each V-Scanner as completely reconfiguring your radio. (because that's exactly what it is) You don't have to use multiple V-Scanners. Your radio has a default one that it's already using unless you change it.

To conclude the hierarchy is:

V-Scanner - A complete programming of the radio, each giving you 200 available scanlists which can be distributed (at your option) among 20 different scan sets. Your main V-Scanner is called CDAT, and that's probably what you'll use if you don't wish to have more than one V-Scanner. There are 200 V-Scanners available for you to program, but you can use only one at a time. (Think of the V-Scanner as the Folder, with up to 200 sheets (scanlists) inside. They could be organized with up to 20 dividers (Scan Sets) which keep related sheets (Scanlists) together.

Scan Set - A group of scanlists that you have decided you'd like to access or turn off as a unit. You can have up to 20 groups. If not interested in organizing in this way, your radio is set to have Scan Set 1 active, and it contains all 200 scanlists. All Scan Sets are available to you at all times, within a given V-Scanner.

Scanlist - A group of objects (frequencies or talkgroups) which will be scanned together. There are 200 available to you in each V-Scanner. You can toggle each Scanlist in and out of the scan individually, and all 200 are available to you at all times in any combination within a given V-Scanner.

If any of this confuses you, I strongly recommend that you not alter Scan Set #1, because it allow you access to all your scanlists.

Depending on how you operate, and how far you travel, you may not need to deal with Scan Sets or V-Scanners.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
One more caveat about the 200 Scanlists. The radio, as initially programmed, uses Scanlists 151-180 to organize stuff that you program via a 'Location' download, and reserves 181-200 for a possible expansion of this function. If you're wanting to keep things really simple, it's best not to assign anything you're programming yourself to Scanlists 151-200.

You can use these Scanlists if you want, but you can't change the Alpha Tags unless you disengate "Location Mode"

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Ah, alright. Thanks. There is no way to get rid of the download function? I have close to 100 Scanlists that I programmed by myself via computer so that the talkgrpups make more sense. Plus we have two really big trunked systems. One belongs to the state and the other belongs to a city. I took all those mucipalities and broke them up and assigned them to their own Scanlists. The thing I like about the TRX1 is that when you program a TRS with certain talkgroups, those talkgroups will be the only ones that you will hear. You will not hear unprogrammed talkgroups without an alphanumeric description. So you will not hear, for instance, talkgroup 1 if you did not programm it but if you programmed talkgroup 2, then you will hear it. This was not the case with my Pro-106, where you would hear everything on a trunked radio system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I agree. The Pro-106 works just fine with talkgroups. If you include a wildcard, you will receive every talkgroup on the system. The only reason to use a wildcard is searching for new talkgroups that are not programmed or not included in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.