200 mhz interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

This happens on different brands of radios when I connect to an outdoor discone. I program 225-250 MHz into a search, but end up having to lockout most of the frequencies due to open carriers. I turned off my computer, cable modem and router but the interference persists. Some signals are strong, 3bars, others are 2 and 1 bars. Two years ago the electric company upgraded their lines running directly from a sub-station to the local pharmaceutical company. These lines run the length of my street. Also, I live across the street from a railroad line. Could any of this be the cause of my interference? I've only monitored the Public Service bands the last several years and never noticed it on them.

SCPD

QRT
200mhz

From 200-220MHZ I hear the parkway system its a ker-plunking sound,is that what you are talking about?
if not,you may have intermod....Are you near any cellphone towers or live close to a city?
Im in Clifton and dont see anything of what you describe.
I am a ham and use the 222-224.995mhz for monitoring only.(local repeaters and such)

I once had an issue where there was a metal balloon stuck in a powerline this was causing massive hash,look up!

rbm

Some switching power supplies put out a lot of 'hash' in that range AND at half that frequency range in the Air Band.

I use POE switches for my surveillance cameras and one of them puts out so much RFI that I have to unplug it when I want to monitor Satcom and air band frequencies.
(It's a recent addition and I've been trying to find a better power supply for it.)

Rich

RFI in Air Band caused by switching power supply.
The yellow band was with that POE supply plugged in and it disappeared completely when I unplugged it.
Right now, the cameras take priority over monitoring those frequencies but eventually I will find a better power supply for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.