$200 Rubber Duck Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkydude

Browsing ebay looking at SDS100 prices I see something interesting. Seems some people are confused on a listing. It's for a $39 antenna, but obviously some think it's for the actual SDS100. Current price of the 'antenna ' is over $200 .

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is this it? Definitely false advertising there. Anyone who knows a lick about antennae would know that you would need a much shorter length for optimal rx on 700/800 mhz. I feel sorry for whomever wins that auction

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow it appears that three people do not realize their error, based on the bidding. I searched for SDS100 and found the same item as linked that has much too high of a bidding price. Well...the sale is using the words "extreme" and "ultimate" in all uppercase, so maybe it's worth it. Ohhh...it has 11dB gain, where's my money? I wish they used the word "TACTICAL", it would easily be worth $100 more.

To me, it looks like an antenna on the back of some WiFi router or 900MHz security camera.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Yeah we can't really blame the seller entirely, they started the auction at $20.50, I've bought my fair share of RS 800mhz antennas back in the day for around that price point so I guess fair is fair. I've got a few rubber ducks I can try auctioning off, maybe I'll have similar luck :)

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The size and the fact its native connector is a reverse SMA tells me its a 2.5GHz WiFi antenna. I have a couple that look identical.
Looks way too long for a 2.4GHz antenna as well. I don't recall any WAPs with RP-SMA, but I guess it's possible.

prcguy

There are some 4G LTE antennas for routers that cover the 700/800MHz range and its probably one of those. Here is a very similar antenna but the gain figures are completely made up. They probably have more gain in the 2GHz range compared to 800 but its still nowhere near what they claim. Bottom line you can get one for under $5 including shipping.

Looks way too long for a 2.4GHz antenna as well. I don't recall any WAPs with RP-SMA, but I guess it's possible.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Same exact antenna listed for Homepatrol scanner by CommandCommunications for 39.99.
Also listed as Extreme Ultimate Uniden SDS100 Scanner Antenna from CommandCommunications. Interestingly, the seller of the $200 antenna referenced by the OP made a purchase from CommandCommunications within the past month. Hmm, I wonder what he may have purchased? ;) I don't suspect the seller of the $200 antenna broke any ebay rules with his listing. The item description is identical to the CommandCommunications listing. He even borrowed the photo.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Sounds about right for that seller. What a scumbag.
If you're referring to the $200 antenna seller, he really did nothing wrong. It would have been deceitful were he to offer this at an extreme buy-it-now price instead of listing it as a bid. BTW, there are many examples of hugely overpriced buy-it-now listings on ebay for products that are obviously sold by Amazon, and offered for sale at a much higher price by profiteers.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
But in all seriousness, congrats to the seller for starting the auction off reasonably and getting perhaps much more than anticipated. Good for them. Whomever won the auction obviously didn't do their homework before continuing to bid, I'd be willing to bet they're looking for "improved reception" on a simulcast system too :unsure:. Personally I'd never pay above $30-40 for a removable antenna of any sort, let alone a rubber duck

Last edited:

sparkydude

I think the bidders thought they were bidding on a SDS100 scanner. Actually the bidding went higher than $200, that bid was retracted and dropped back to $200

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I think the bidders thought they were bidding on a SDS100 scanner. Actually the bidding went higher than $200, that bid was retracted and dropped back to $200
Ouch! That may be possible, although the word "antenna" is clearly in the listing title and subsequent description. Given that the photo includes the SDS100, he could have mentioned that the scanner was not included in the sale. Of course, that detail may have been omitted intentionally. Under the circumstances, the winning bidder may have a case against the seller through the eBay Resolution Center.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Given that the photo includes the SDS100, he could have mentioned that the scanner was not included in the sale.
This is precisely why I only feature what is included in an auction and nothing else in the first picture. If only an antenna, show just the antenna. Show how it connects to the radio in the picture(s) to follow but you need to spell out specifically and prominently that the radio is not included in the auction. Some buyers just bid with their eyes without bothering to read specifics or ask questions

Status
Not open for further replies.