2000 Chevy Lumina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was difficult at first, but as time went by and I got to thinking about how to do it, I finally got my mobiles mounted as I want them. Feel Free to comment.

IMG_0815 - Shows entire layout. Took out the ash tray (I don't smoke anyways) and used the mounting screws already there. I had a friend make a couple of aluminum strips (1.5 inches by 3 inches) to make small brackets out of. Mounted cleanly and all cords are out of site. (well, almost)

IMG_0816 - Top mobile is a Kenwood TK-7180 for public safety use. Bottom is a Kenwood TM-V71A for amatuer use. External Rat Shack speaker for bank A on TM-V71A.

IMG_0813 - MAXRAD 18 inch whip antenna for TK-7180

IMG_0814 - Comet B10NMO for TM-V71A

Am planning on having either a Rat Shack Pro433 or Uniden BCD996T for the local trunking systems installed in the future. Gotta get the money for it first.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 7,786
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 5,749
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 2,751
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 2,596
Last edited:
Well, almost all the cords. The one dropping from the glove box goes to my dash light (don't think it counts, but ok) and the power cord is tucked up as close as I could get it. Not hanging far enough to notice when your riding with me. The speaker cord however I will have to find another way to hide it.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
My Sport Truk had that "smokers cup" in it, which went bouncing down the road after I bought it. Now, a cup stand hold my Pro96!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
How well does that Comet B10NMO work for you on the amateur bands? I have a Comet SBB 1 that I'm somewhat less than impressed with, only because it will not screw all of the way down on the NMO base and I find condensation up underneath and on the NMO base 8-( Mike

It actually works well. Mine went all the way down on the base with no problem. In fact the only problem I had was locating a good spot to mount the thing. There is a brace that runs the entire length of the top center and only a space barely big enough to place an NMO mount. It was a pain to install.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I can understand mounting pains! Maybe I will try the Comet B10NMO and see if it's better than or as good as the SBB-1 as far as performance goes. Liek I said, my only complaint was that it won't go all of the way onto the base and the condensation that comes from that.

Mike

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Lookin' Good

Nice clean install, good job taking your time and planning it out not just throwing it all in there.

MMc.

Well, a few years later. No longer on FD due to lack of time to keep up state training requirements to stay active, and a few things less in the vehicle. I'll post a newer pic as soon as I can. Don't have one on the PC I'm currently posting this from. 73's everyone!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Hey Jerrold - how is the Comet B10NMO holding up? I never did get one - I bought a new vehicle, a TM-V71A (also) and went with the SBB-1 again. This one doesn't screw all the way down either, but rubber ring and it fits well. So far I'm happy.

Mike

Actually, the B10NMO bit the dust when we had that ice storm come thru in 2009. A low hanging branch took it out. I got another antenna and it bit the dust when a bird flew in its path on my way to work one day. So now I'm just using a standard 18" Maxrad antenna for my 2 meter. I'm not using the 70cm stuff right now, so the VHF antenna works for now.

2012-07-02 updated pictures!!

v71a1.jpg
Picture of TM-V71A mounted where ash tray was. I removed the ash tray completely (as shown in previous pictures) using factory locations as mounting points for the bracket.

v71a2.JPG
Picture of back of radio. Just enough room there to connect everything. And there is enough room behind and above radio to allow for sufficient air flow for cooling. I do plan on adding a small cooling fan above the radio to increase air flow for cooling though for the winter months when the heat is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.