• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2000 NBS Silverado Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2000 NBS Silverado I am looking to install a mobile VFH/UHF setup into. Anyone here ever set one up?

Hoping to try to find a Yaesu FTM-100D or similar, but don't know where to mount the radio or antenna or run the cabling. Any suggestions or pictures of installs would be much appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NBS?

If you can post a photo of the interior, that would help joggle my memory. I know I've done installs on trucks in that era, but I'll be danged if I can recall without some reminders.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
NBS?

If you can post a photo of the interior, that would help joggle my memory. I know I've done installs on trucks in that era, but I'll be danged if I can recall without some reminders.
The early 1.5 din version

OP, do you have a center console?

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
NBS?

NBS is short for "New Body Style", its just another way to say the 2000-2006 era of the GM trucks.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
The early 1.5 din version

OP, do you have a center console?
yes, it's the 1.5 din. I think I'm going to get one of the seatbolt mounts for the RH to mount the radio itself in the truck. I'm mainly trying to figure out how to run the cabling, power the radio and antenna mounting locations. I've thought a bout possibly doing a lip mount in the bed of the truck.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I've got an 03 2500HD with three rear mount radios (KW NX-5700/5800 VHF/UHF and KW TK-690). All three decks are mounted behind the rear seat on the little "seat follower" hinged pieces (Crew Cab) with an 8awg positive wire ran down the channel along the driver side, exiting the cab into the engine compartment via the large grommet above the MBEC. Ground is via the factory ground point behind the passenger C-pillar.

Two roof mount nmo antennas, VHF and UHF.

I'll post some pictures later once my wife is done using her truck.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NBS is short for "New Body Style", its just another way to say the 2000-2006 era of the GM trucks.

OK, that helps, I figured that's what you meant.

So, looking at google for interior photos, that kicked the fog out of that corner of my brain.

Did some installs on those, but they all had the center console. The trucks didn't have the cassette deck down low on the dash, so there was a nice little empty pocket there. I do recall the Icom commercial radios fit very nicely in that spot. I think Icom IC-F621 was what we put in there. Worked out very well.

As always, power direct off the battery. At the time we didn't run these with ignition sense, so not sure where to pull that circuit from on those trucks. Not sure if there was a dedicated feed like the newer models. There's a big grommet under the hood leading in under the dash that we were able to route through.

Coax was routed back around the dash, under that, and up to the roof for a single 1/4 wave UHF whip dead center on the roof. I seem to recall we were able to install them above the dome light to make cable routing a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.