2001 Chevy Silverado Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Just finished the reinstall of the radios in the truck. Some modifications were done to the placement of the center armrest / console / cup holders to make room for all 4 components. There is also a snap in panel in the center portion of the dash I took out to help with fitment. It's hard but not impossible to find a console for this model of truck so I got tired of looking and decided it was time to break out the wood working tools and do it. The only ironic thing about this was that as soon as I finished it I went on E Bay and stumbled onto the very model of Jotto Desk console for this truck, the first one I had ever seen and decided to snatch it up any way.
Components are from top down:
Pro 197 Scanner for NC Viper and local public safety
Motorola CDM 1550 UHF for ham and FD
Motorola CDM 1250 VHF for Ham- Final install
Kenwood TM V 710A Dual band for Ham- Not currently installed
Sho Me- Airhorn used [primarily for radio rebroadcast

Antenna is a Larsen dual band quarterwave fed from both radios through a diplexer.
Scanner antenna is an old 800 glass mount cell phone antenna.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,529
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3,176
  • DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,841
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,144
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,133

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks good! Maybe this is just me being confused but I think you list 5 components but I only see 4 in the console...right? It looks like the Kenwood was replaced by the Moto CDM? Or am I missing something? But it looks good for a custom made console! Looks like it fits just right!

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Looks good! Maybe this is just me being confused but I think you list 5 components but I only see 4 in the console...right? It looks like the Kenwood was replaced by the Moto CDM? Or am I missing something? But it looks good for a custom made console! Looks like it fits just right!

You are correct. The Kenwood is what I used to use. Then I got into the Motorolas and I like them better. I keep the Kenwood in it's faceplate and ready to pop it back in for a back up.

PACNWDude

Very nice, and hard to tell that it was not a commercial made product. Great job on that build.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words. I was trying to show that if you can't find a console to suit your needs, a little wood working helps. It was done with 3/4 MDF board and sanded smooth on all surfaces and then primed with 2 coats and finished with flat black spray paint.

TonyS

Another Silverado guy here, tho mine's older. Nice work on the console! That looks pretty darn good for black rattle can. I thought you'd Plasti-Dip'ed it. I'm making my own console for my truck att. Looks eerily like yours! LOL! How is the console holding up? Have the strips of wood that the faceplates are fastened to split or staying strong?

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
The console is holding up fine. The strips of wood are ok. Just don't over tighten the screws holding the faceplates. At first I considered using some small aluminum right angle stock from Lowes but it was too wide to allow the scanner to be placed into the opening. I' ve enjoyed building and using it. Got a lot of good inspiration and guidance from a lot of folks on here.

TonyS

Are your air vents directly behind the console? Do you get any overheating or any effects on the radios from heat or a/c blasting on them?

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
No. The air vents are not restricted. I've had no overheating issues either.
On a side note right after I finished this console, a Jotto desk console made for the 1999 to 2006 truck with 12 inches of mounting surface became available. I went ahead and bought it just in case I had problems with the one I built. If by chance you are interested I will sell it. PM me if you are interested.

TonyS

That figures, don't it? That would be my luck, too. Do a custom job and days later someone makes just what I was looking for but no one made it when I was looking. Thanks, but I'll use my custom console for now. Put that Jotto console up in the For Sale forum. I'm sure you'll get a taker.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Yep. That's exactly what happened. I will probably hold onto the Jotto desk console as it may come in handy later on. I should mention about the faceplate screws that when you start on them be sure to pre drill for them and angle them in just ever so slightly toward the walls of the console. I used a wood screw about 1 inch long was all that was needed. Just don't over tighten them. Take your time with them.

TonyS

Thanks. I'm using 1/2" screws, I think #6 or #8 diameter. So far, so good. I learned my lesson a long time ago about predrilling. Had a beautiful PA speaker cabinet, 2x10" and about 6 tweeters (custom job) that was my first speaker cabinet build. Forgot to predrill and split the birch. Man was I PO'ed. Sometimes I still forget but those "whoah, I gotta drill first" moments save my butt!

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Understood. I did some speakers once. BTW. We will be expecting pictures of your console and install too.

Status
Not open for further replies.