2001 Civic RH 96 install for 996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I didnt want to go too crazy with wiring direct. I took the car off my wife's hands, traded in my trailblazer so she could get her new CRV. Its a 2001 so wanted to take it easy on the electrical system.

I am using a Scan-Force (https://www.scannermaster.com/Scan_Force_Mobile_Antenna_p/25-541147.htm) Mobile Mag Mount antenna on the trunk.

Right now I am using the reare seat pocket to house the base 996XT until my remote cable extension and speaker arrives. At that point it will be permanently installed in the trunk or other non-conspicuous location (open to ideas). I wanted to use the glove box and got really excited when the base fit perfectly. That was before attaching any cables. (oh well)

I took the storage tray out from under the stereo controls to see if it would fit, and it is almost perfect. The reomote mounting plate is a little small so there is a gap. But I was able to manipulate the standard bracket to reverse-fit into the mounting harness that holds the AM/FM receiver in place.

Bought a three-way adapter from CellPhone Shack to cover both power supplies and my cell phone charger.

I have some lights that need to go in, but the Civic is tough on my as I am accustomed to working on Chevys.

I have added some pictures, more to come.

Attachments

• 2012-03-30 10.34.07.jpg
    2012-03-30 10.34.07.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,532
  • 2012-03-30 10.34.55.jpg
    2012-03-30 10.34.55.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,514

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Looks alright,how long have you had that mobile antenna?

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Here is an update

I decided to dismantle and remount the remote a little more securely. I removed the custom bracket I made because it was just too flimsey and would be easy to take out should the less-honest want it.

Take a look.

Next week I will be moving the base from the back seat to the trunk. Those pictures to come later.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,161
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,150
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,161
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,287

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Update 4-8-2012

I got the base into the trunk. The Civic doesnt have a lot of places to drill through, so i used a piece of scrap wood and some velcro strips underneath to secure it to the fabric in the back.

I am wondering if the strobe kit is going to create any interference, then again, I dont always use my lights anyway. Take a look. As always, suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,927

jasday

Would you mind explaining how your powering the scanner in the back? I'm going to be installing a 996xt and rh96 and I am looking for options. The scanner will go under one on the front seats and I want it to be powered when I turn the key off. I'm not really worried about the remote head as I can turn it off myself.

Thanks,
Jason

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
What kind of vehicle?

Does the cigarette lighter(s) shut off when the ignition is off?

You would be better off using the same power source for both, but dont split. I bought a triple-tap adapter for mine and everything shuts off when the ignition is off.

If you want the scanner to stay on (not recommended) you need to find a suitable constant to tap into. Again, depending on the vehicle, the cigarette lighter will do. In my civic, there was little room under the seat, so i ran it from the trunk.

jasday

I have a Dodge RAM 1500 with one plug that is only on when the ignition is on. That's where I was planning on going with either the scanner or radio head. Just looking at options and insight from those that have been there. Would it be a possibility to tap into the plug with say the scanner and then plug into it with the remote head? I want a clean look, but what I've been reading on my truck getting into the fuse block is hard if not possible.

jasday

Well what I was reading was wrong, so what I may be doing is to run the power cable into the engine compartment and find a fuse that is switched on by the ignition for the scanner and run the rh96 to the cigarette plug and tie into that. Now I need to find the relay I saw in another post that is used to plug into the fuse box.

Edit

Well disregard that, all on the fuse slots and relay spots are filled, but I did figure out that two cigarette plugs are only hot when the truck is on, I think I figured out my electricity problem. Now to figure out how to get to them.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Looks good but I would get a piece of ABS plastic and fill in the sides ,any car stereo place will have it.
Zippos in belleville used to have for $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.