2001 Sebring Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Jerry_

I still have the pro-2055 which works well for my immediate area (fredericksburg, VA), and an 800 mhz 3db antenex antenna on a trunk lip mount (since i'm not transmitting). I'm sticking with this setup till I get a psr 600 to take the 2055's spot. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,525
  • DSCN0026.jpg
    DSCN0026.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,588
  • DSCN0027.jpg
    DSCN0027.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,532
  • DSCN0028.jpg
    DSCN0028.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,528

CLTX11

That is one clean install, set up is perfect. Amazing how long it takes to do something like that, easier said then done thats for sure.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nice And Neat! Great Job!

Sebrings with scanner options! I must have missed that on the sales brochure options! ;-)
Very nice,looks like it came with the car!

Manny

jmtyra

Premium Subscriber
Now that's a clean install -- must have taken a decent time investment! =)

_Jerry_

Thanks to all for the comments!

I had an older scanner mounted in the area under the current scanner, but it got to be a pain when I wanted to switch channels driving in traffic. Since my fm radio was messing up at the time, I figured I'd put my 2055 in it's place.

The hardest part of the install I would say would be running the antenna wire (especially through the tubing in picture 3. That alone took about 30 minutes. Also taking the rear deck above the seats wasn't all that much fun either.

SCPD

QRT
Dude, That is Nice! I owned a Dodge Intrepid and while mounting radio's inside was cake, I know the frustration of running coax for antennas in and thru the trunk lid. Beautifull Installation!

SCPD

QRT
scanernutt said:
Sebrings with scanner options! I must have missed that on the sales brochure options! ;-)
Very nice,looks like it came with the car!

Manny

Wouldn't it be great if you could order a car with a "communications package?" There would be a panel in the headliner and one in the trunk that when removed would allow a quick plug in to a box that had RG-58 running from it to a box under the dash. That box would have PL-239's mounted on it so radios could be connected to it by just running a short jumper. You could make your own cut to order jumpers with a PL-259 on each end for amateur or commercial gear or a 259 on one end and BNC on the other for scanner installations. The ceiling or trunk connection boxes would also have PL-239's on it so a short jumper from the antenna could be run, or you would just cut to fit the RG-58 cable from an NMO or other standard mount from the antenna. Standard would be for 6 antennas and you could order them in 8,10, or 12 coax cable packages. To install antennas you would either drill into your roof and just have to get the coax to the panel, drill into your trunk lid, or mount trunk lip antennas.

It would have 6-12 compact power plugs and corresponding fused or breaker protected circuits. You could interchange fuses or breakers to allow for a .5 amp to 50 amp circuit and the wire gauge feeding each circuit would allow for a 50 amp in each. Of course you would have a very high capacity alternator for the whole package. The entire package would be guaranteed to be noise free, by shielding or suppressing alternator and computer emissions. In this way you could mount mobile ham HF gear with an amplifier and mobile scanners that don't exceed a .5 amp current.

Professional antenna and power installations would just be plug and play. This package would be costly as the volume of this option ordered would be relatively low, but wouldn't you pay $300-$500 to make your installations professional and easy do it yourself jobs?

NAAAAWWWW!! Dream on, it will never happen. I guess I need to get the hole saw, the wire puller, the soldering iron, and the wire strippers and get out to the garage where I belong!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I like that idea!

I love it!
You can have your choice of analog or digital scanner. Choice of antenna brands. Integrated audio through the speaker system onboard. SEE WHAT YOU STARTED?

Manny

squirrel25

If the car has an available DIN slot any scanner that fits the DIN profile will fit which is why it looks "factory." It just takes some serious patience and a little know how or just some experimenting.

Exsmokey, all you need to find is a quality radio shop... They can do all that and more and it can all look like the vehicle came that way. It just takes time, money and know how... Think of what it would cost to get that "option" at a dealership.

The install does look great however!

Status
Not open for further replies.