2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
I am a very avid reader of the forum however rarely post however, after looking at everybody else's installs I figured that I would post mine. After trading my Jeep Wrangler in on my 2002 Silverado 2500HD I was pleased at how much more room there is in my truck than my 5 speed manual Jeep had. After searching through many fourms here on Radio Reference it gave me some terrific install ideas.

My truck is equipped with the snow plow prep package which includes a bigger alternator, a switch in the dash for a "Beacon light" and a pre drilled hole in the firewall with a grommet for running plow controls. This hole in the firewall is the perfect spot to run wires and coax into the cab, and my plow controls when I finally install my Western plow on it.

My long term plan is to install NMO mounts in the roof and build a custom console, however that is going to take quite a few months before I have time and all of my ideas ready. For now I wanted at least my Yeast 8800 in the truck.

I started looking around and thinking about where I wanted to put it, and decided that since I probably wont use it much, I am going to remove the stock cassette player from the console and put the radio in its place. After some disassembling and measuring, it was determined that it was the best place to put it.

The fuse block I bought at NAPA. It is a Stens electrical accessory, I'm not sure the part number. I had to remove the console entirely in order to get into where I wanted to put the fuse block. It is easily accessible by removing the cup holder tray and it sits right underneath of it. I ran 8 gauge wire to the fuse block directly from the battery, and used a bus bar we had laying around in the shop for the ground side. We wired it ignition sense with a relay because in my Jeep I was surprised with a dead battery many times after fire calls or a 24 hour shift at work.

I installed the antenna on a lip mount on the fender. The antenna is a Comet, I don't remember the model of antenna. This will serve as a scanner antenna with the transmit antenna's on the roof when I get some time and enough guts to drill holes in the roof.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_0678 BEST.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0678 BEST.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,752
  • Optimized-IMG_0650.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0650.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • Optimized-IMG_0682.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0682.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,546
  • Optimized-IMG_0693.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0693.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Optimized-IMG_0670.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0670.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,599

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Some additional pictures

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_0523.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_0523.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,743
  • Optimized-IMG_0690.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_0690.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,469

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nice truck.

My brother in law installed a UHF Icom in the same place. Didn't need the cassette deck anymore.

Antenna install is pretty easy on these trucks. You should be able to just remove the dome light and access the underside of the roof. Route the coax over to the side and down to the dash.

12dbsinad

Drill that roof!! it's the way to go AND you'll never turn back!

Looks good, Same color as my 2500HD and it's been a great truck!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree. I think once you drill the roof you'll want to remove that antenna off the hood and place it up there also. It really does work better. I won't do anything else with my installs, it really is worth it.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Within three hours of having my new 4runner I had two holes in the roof. I'll never go back to mag / fender mounts.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks good! And I believe the antenna is the Comet SS460SB (or "...SBNMO" if it's an NMO mount).

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Nice truck.

My brother in law installed a UHF Icom in the same place. Didn't need the cassette deck anymore.

Antenna install is pretty easy on these trucks. You should be able to just remove the dome light and access the underside of the roof. Route the coax over to the side and down to the dash.

I might do it that way, I don't know yet. My luck I would end up drilling through the headliner.

"Interoperability is not a luxury, it is a necessity!"

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Drill that roof!! it's the way to go AND you'll never turn back!

Looks good, Same color as my 2500HD and it's been a great truck!

I may have a buddy of mine do it, he does installs on brand-new fire trucks. The performance is a driving factor with me.

I love the 6.0 automatic, just don't love the fuel mileage all of the time.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
I agree. I think once you drill the roof you'll want to remove that antenna off the hood and place it up there also. It really does work better. I won't do anything else with my installs, it really is worth it.

The performance is a big thing with me. All of my other vehicles I haven't kept more than a year or so but this one I'm going to keep a while so I should probably do this one right. I plan on keeping it until I kill it so if I make the roof Swiss cheese so be it!

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Within three hours of having my new 4runner I had two holes in the roof. I'll never go back to mag / fender mounts.

You have more guts than I do my friend! This is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought so I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to drilling holes in it. This truck was garage kept by the previous owner and is practically brand-new.

Status
Not open for further replies.