• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2003 Chevy Trailblazer Rear Fuse Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtrid

I did a search and couldn't find any info on this so I appologize if this has previously been covered.

I currently drive a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and am looking to install a Yaesu FT8800R in it.
I am looking at installing the main unit in the rear cargo area and using the separation kit to mount the head unit up front.

The truck has a fuse box with terminals (look like battery posts) underneath the back seat and I am wondering if I can run power and ground to these posts, or if it truly needs to be ran to the battery?

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The only issue -may- be the introduction of RFI but for a low current install like an FT8800R (~15A) that location should be just fine. Run the ground wire to a god chassis ground and you'll be good to go.

If the RFI becomes an issue, try a ferrite core or then move the positive wire to the battery.

n8emr

stateboy said:
Run the ground wire to a god chassis ground and you'll be good to go.

Seeking devine help to keep RFI out out of the radio?

kingtrid

Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the replies!

I went ahead with the install today but ran into a problem. My problem is that I am not sure how good my ground is. My plan is to re-run the cables to the battery next weekend, but I am now wondering - what happens if I use the radio until next weekend? If the ground is not good, will I fry the radio? Will the car start on fire? Will it just not work?

If any of you are familiar with a '03 trailblazer, I bolted the ground to the large 1/2" bolt on the rear right drivers seat track. I got most of the paint off, but I am not sure if the little that remains will affect the connection.

Is it safe to use the radio if I am not confident on the ground?

RolnCode3

Why are you unsure how good your ground is? Is the radio malfunctioning?

Did you check the potential difference with a digital voltmeter?

Just because a part is made of metal doesn't mean it's grounded. Those seat nuts often have a nylon insert inside to keep it from loosening.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
kingtrid said:
Thanks guys for all the replies!

I went ahead with the install today but ran into a problem. My problem is that I am not sure how good my ground is. My plan is to re-run the cables to the battery next weekend, but I am now wondering - what happens if I use the radio until next weekend? If the ground is not good, will I fry the radio? Will the car start on fire? Will it just not work?

If any of you are familiar with a '03 trailblazer, I bolted the ground to the large 1/2" bolt on the rear right drivers seat track. I got most of the paint off, but I am not sure if the little that remains will affect the connection.

Is it safe to use the radio if I am not confident on the ground?

Move the ground directly to body sheetmetal if you are concerned about it. Check the voltage drop across that body mount and if it's more than a 1/10th of a volt, move the ground wire.

key2_altfire

Move the ground directly to body sheetmetal if you are concerned about it.

Agreed, this is the best route.

If you do decide to connect the pos and neg terminals directly to the main battery, be sure to have a fuse in the negative wire. If you do not, and the vehicle's main ground strap fails, then your radio will quite possibly become the new ground path.

Fusing the neg line will help prevent fireballing your radio when you hit the starter switch. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.