2003 Ford Explorer Ham Radio/Scanner Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

I recently picked up a 2003 Explorer and wanted to get a scanner and some ham rigs installed. The center console area offers a lot of space, but keeping it neat was my main goal. I designed a cover for the install with a homebuilt CNC and then built the mount into a $10 junkyard insert.

I'll attach the YouTube video of the install. I still need to run power to the units and put the antennas on. But the main console is completed and came out okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDWs1b5KvE

Dan

Attachments

• console finish 006.jpg
    console finish 006.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 5,291

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm great installation, I also own an 2003 Explorer and was thinking how to install a scanner and a mobile 2 M rig, but if I clear the 2 coffee holders, my wife is going to kill me lol

-Nick

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Excellent work, both on the console and on the you tube presentation. You by any chance have aircraft engineering experience? Looks like you do. These are the threads that are really enjoyable to see.

radiowave15

Thanks Nick, and KC4YIN. This was fun to build.

Nick - I hear you on the cup holders...fortunately there are the cup holder slots in the doors as well as swing out holders just behind the center console. There actually is some space on the passenger side of the unit that would just clear the glove box if I ever get the gumption to design an add on. I'm thinking perhaps a mag light rack on the passenger side, but we'll see.

KC4YIN - No engineering background - I think engineering or some kind of design field of work would have been great though.

Dan

RodStrong

Looks great. I enjoyed the vid.

The only thing I might want done differently would be to angle the radio displays a bit. It can be very difficult for the driver to read the displays when the radios are laying flat like that.

Great job.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
This is the art of ham radio I wish more people on the outside looking in would see.

Nice skills!!

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for taking the time to make a video. I really enjoyed watching that (Sweet background music too!) Your install is super slick!

JimmyL1011

EXCELLENT install. Looks very good, neat, organized, no wires showing. Super professional. Only thing I would suggest is to paint the screw heads black to go along with the Midnight Black Theme. Great job!

JIm

Status
Not open for further replies.