2003 S-10 Blazer install

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuzafuzz

I just completed installing my Kenwood TM-D710 in my '03 Blazer. It took a few weekends and help from a few friends, but it's finally done.

Not visible in the photos is a VHF quarter wave that's mounted on the roof. That will be for my scanner, which sometimes lives on the seat, and may do double duty for a CAP radio. A 2m/440 antenna lives on the driver side cowl mount.

The design of the radio includes a separate control head, which allowed for a creative install. First to go was the center console. A power saw cut the console at an angle, losing everything behind the shifter. The transceiver is mounted on the bolts that used to hold the rear part of the center console. The speaker fires straight up. The angle cut on the console remains was covered by some sheet aluminum, bent to cover the console and strengthened with stringers and rivets. That's covered with some free scraps from a local upholstery shop, glued to the metal with some super-duper 3M spray adhesive. I left a loose skirt of fabric at the bottom of the new console to drape over the cables between the console and radio.

The control head is mounted on a custom bracket facing directly up for me to easily see it from a normal sitting position. I extended the mic cable with a CAT 5 cable and a crossover adapter. That permits the mic cables to be hidden in the console as they run to the base of the dash.

Overall, I am pleased. This Blazer doesn't leave much room for radios. So I made room! :)

Attachments

• Wuzafuzz Blazer9.jpg
    Wuzafuzz Blazer9.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,068
  • Wuzafuzz Blazer3.jpg
    Wuzafuzz Blazer3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,063
  • Wuzafuzz Blazer6.jpg
    Wuzafuzz Blazer6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • Wuzafuzz Blazer7.jpg
    Wuzafuzz Blazer7.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,061
  • Wuzafuzz Blazer1.jpg
    Wuzafuzz Blazer1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,058

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I really hate that jimmys/blazers are so thin. If they were a bit wider, it would open up so much more to do to the center console.

Status
Not open for further replies.