2004 Chevy Silverado Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Premium Subscriber
We Just completed our radio install wanted to thank 8859, mmckenna , WX4EMT and everyone else for the help Here is list of everything we installed Havis made me a 1-Piece Equipment Mounting Bracket. I just ship my Yaesu FT 8900R to Havis and there engineers made it fit like a glove the part number for it is C-EB25-YFT-1P it will work for the FT-8800 also. they don’t have it listed on Havis website yet, I was going to Drill hole for NMO on roof and GPS but did not feel Comfortable we also drilled hole in the 3” Filler Plate for the FT-899R Mic cord and used grommet

1 Uniden BCD536HP

2 Yaesu FT 8900R

3 Diamond K400C mount

4 Diamond K400CNMO mount

5 Diamond CR8900A Quad Band FM Mobile Antenna

6 Laird Technologies 150/450/800 Scanner Antenna, Black ABSCANC

7 Uniden BC-GPSK

8 StarTech.com 0.5m DB9 RS232 Serial Extension Male to Female Cable, Black (MXT10050CMBK) for GPS

9 BNC Male to Mini-UHF Male from Ebay

10 Havis, Inc 8" Angled Series Console C-AS-840-11

11 Havis, Inc. Mic Clip Bracket Part #: C-MCB

12 Havis, Inc. - Mic Clip Part #: C-MC

13 Havis, Inc 1-Piece Equipment Mounting Bracket, 3” Part #: C-EB30-U15-1P for BCD536HP

14 Havis, Inc C-EB25-YFT-1P for Yaesu FT 8900R

15 Havis, Inc. Part #: C-FP-3 3” Filler Plate

16 1.5mm 2 Car Cigarette Cigar Lighter DC12V Extension Mini Fuse Tap Holder Lead from aliexpress.com for GPS

17 2 Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse from Amazon

18 2 Motorola Mobile Radio Speaker HSN4019B

19 3.5 MM plug Mouser Part #: 172-1281

Last edited:

qc

Premium Subscriber
Here are the photos

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,879
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 1,959
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,976
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,874

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the mention, that install looks VERY professional! I'm not a big Havis fan but that looks like they really did a good job for you.

qc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you WX4EMT yes they did great job on the fabrication and did not charge me for any of the Plates

Take care

PS love your home install

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, very nice. Some day when you are up to it, do the NMO mounts on the roof, it'll round out the install really well.

Very professional looking. The time you took to do it right really shows.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Thats a really nice console. Looks like it belongs there.

I was planning on getting a similar console (next generation of silverado, mines an 08) but I had enough random junk and bracketry that I was able to cobble together a good radio stack.

I'm a really big fan of those diamond mounts when nothing vehicle specific exists, the adjustability of them makes the price worth it.

Also, those triband absscan antennas are solid performers and are bulletproof. Many state agencies use them on vehicles that may have its requirements change. They'll put one or two on the roof, label the feeds, then it doesnt matter if the vehicle has a VHF, UHF or 800 radio, or scanner, the antenna will work for whatever.
My last state issued sedan had a single one on the roof, with a diplexer splitting the feed to a VHF radio and a 800mhz edacs charger/booster.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
NMO Mounts

Yeah, very nice. Some day when you are up to it, do the NMO mounts on the roof, it'll round out the install really well.

You beat me to it, M McKenna. Those Diamonds mounts are OK (I have one for my Yaesu ATAS 120) but unless you have an excellent ground, especially for an HF radio, they just don't work optimum as an antenna on an NMO mount.

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the mention. Great looking install, glad I was able to help! Very professional - As soon as you drill your first NMO hole in your roof you won't use anything else... I was nervous drilling holes into my first new vehicle, but have had a few new ones since and all have had holes drilled in the roof within the first week. I have never had any problems with the install of NMO antennas or had trouble when it comes to trading in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, big 10-4 on the drilling. I know it's hard to do the first time, but once you do it you'll never go back. Those full size American trucks are pretty easy to install in, and there is lots of real estate on the roof. Since you are in the Bay Area and I'm down near Monterey, let me know if you ever decide to do it and I'll be happy to drop by and spot you, if you want.

qc

Premium Subscriber

Thanks we will try to work are way up the the NMO Drilling :)

qc

Premium Subscriber
Thats a really nice console. Looks like it belongs there.

I was planning on getting a similar console (next generation of silverado, mines an 08) but I had enough random junk and bracketry that I was able to cobble together a good radio stack.

I'm a really big fan of those diamond mounts when nothing vehicle specific exists, the adjustability of them makes the price worth it.

Also, those triband absscan antennas are solid performers and are bulletproof. Many state agencies use them on vehicles that may have its requirements change. They'll put one or two on the roof, label the feeds, then it doesnt matter if the vehicle has a VHF, UHF or 800 radio, or scanner, the antenna will work for whatever.
My last state issued sedan had a single one on the roof, with a diplexer splitting the feed to a VHF radio and a 800mhz edacs charger/booster.

Thanks I receive 3 to 4 different NOAA Weather Radio on the absscan and works great on East Bay Regional Communications System EBRCS 700 MHz 800 MHz and California Highway Patrol CHP VHF Low Band

qc

Premium Subscriber
You beat me to it, M McKenna. Those Diamonds mounts are OK (I have one for my Yaesu ATAS 120) but unless you have an excellent ground, especially for an HF radio, they just don't work optimum as an antenna on an NMO mount.

Hi, Thanks I'm using a Grounding Braid Flat Tinned Copper on the CR8900A Antenna K400 mount, I also found out that I get lower SWR if I use Thicker 1/4 Wave Motorola Antenna and cut it to the same Length as the Diamond Antenna Tuning Whip on the 10-meter band

qc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the mention. Great looking install, glad I was able to help! Very professional - As soon as you drill your first NMO hole in your roof you won't use anything else... I was nervous drilling holes into my first new vehicle, but have had a few new ones since and all have had holes drilled in the roof within the first week. I have never had any problems with the install of NMO antennas or had trouble when it comes to trading in.

Thanks for the help if we and any do any more antenna install I will try to make sure we do NMO Dill :)

qc

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, big 10-4 on the drilling. I know it's hard to do the first time, but once you do it you'll never go back. Those full size American trucks are pretty easy to install in, and there is lots of real estate on the roof. Since you are in the Bay Area and I'm down near Monterey, let me know if you ever decide to do it and I'll be happy to drop by and spot you, if you want.

Thank you mmckenna for the offer to help with the NMO Drilling if add any more radios, I will go with NMO Drill and I will make sure to contact you

Take care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.