2004 Hyundai Radio & Laptop Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

radact

I took out the small DIN box that was below the radio and my dualband Yaesu FT-5100 fit right in there.

I also have a 1ghz laptop mounted on a nice sturdy RAM Mount and the base is bolted to the passenger seat bolt. Very secure mount. The neck is adjustable in case I need to push it out of the way if needed or take it out when going to get the vehicle surviced and leaving it overnight. I also have a Sprint Brandband card to surf the net on the fly. (Only at red lights)

The laptop mount doesn't impact using the center mounted gear shift in any way. I probably would be in trouble if it was a manual shift car.

The bottom of the mount is high enough that the passenger has no problem sitting in the seat with their legs fitting comfortably under it. The way the mount is attached to the seat bolt, it has to stay 3/4 of the way back which is plenty of room for the front and the person sitting in the back seat.

Other installs are planned and will post when finished. (222mhz mobile, remote mounted VHF & UHF MCS2000, scanner)

Attachments

• 05-01-08_1547.jpg
    05-01-08_1547.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5,029
  • 05-01-08_1549.jpg
    05-01-08_1549.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5,236

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
Lookin good!

Can we see more detailed pics and get more details about the laptop mount? Swivel? Quick Disconnect? Brand? Cost?

I recently bought one off Ebay and I'm not super happy with it, looking for alternatives.

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I need to read :) RAM Mount, adjustable, very nice...

Put some black foam rubber or some plastic bits on either side of the Ham radio and that could look a lot nicer. My 2 cents...

n4yek

Love that radio, the display went bad in mine and I can't tell which frequency I am on unless the repeater ID's itself.

SCPD

QRT
Love that radio, the display went bad in mine and I can't tell which frequency I am on unless the repeater ID's itself.

LOL! This is almost like buying food in cans with the labels removed! In the words of a great man, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

radact

2004 Hyundai Radio & Laptop Install *Update*

I've installed a 220 radio so now I have three Amateur Bands in the car. Also installed a Kenwood TK-760 VHF commercial radio for MURS. The radio was a 25w unit and I was able to turn it down to 12w high and 5 low. I know that's a bit over the alloted for MURS but it will have to do for now.

I know what you're going to say. Don't the radios get in the way of my leg while driving? No, not even a problem.

I also have the updated pics of the RAM Mount. At the bottom and under the tray you can see the ball mounts and then of course the arm. The arm has a screw you can screw/unscrew to set the grip on the rubber balls and you can set it to pretty much whatever angle you need.

If you have two vehicles that you want to use the mount, just buy extra ball mounts and when you unscrew the arm, it just pops off of the ball for easy removal.

Attachments

• Radio Install.jpg
    Radio Install.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2,821
  • RAM Mount.jpg
    RAM Mount.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,392
  • RAM Mount 2.jpg
    RAM Mount 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,474

bballjh

If you don't mind me asking, what type of car is that? I have a 2004 Hyundai as well and it looks similar

snakecharmer

What do you use the Lap Top for ? ( War Driving ..heh )

I wonder this as well. I see alot of people that mount laptops in the car but unless you a storm chaser or in sales where you work out of your vehicle, I am just curious what people use them for.

SCPD

QRT
What brand it the 220 radio? I'm thinking of getting one for my "out of town" vehicle. I think California has the greatest number of 220 repeaters in the country, with both the Condor and the EARN wide area networks.

commscanaus

Seeing your FT-5100 reminds me of the one I once had.
Sold it and got an FT-8100R because it had a remote head- BIG MISTAKE!
Now the FT-5100 is as rare as motorcycle ashtrays in these parts.

Nice job of installing it- and as long as it serves you well, don't sell it!

Regards, Commscanaus

Status
Not open for further replies.