2005 Chevrolet Equinox Install Pics, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pm1072

Well, I finally did it. Have Quad-Band Yaesu FT8900R mobile remote mounted in my car, along with remote mount Ericsson System Orion (800MHz for receive). I used the Lido seat bolt mounts for each. I had to take the seat bolt parts off, as it appears the seat bolts are well below the carpet and are mounted directly to the bottom frame of the vehicle. I have both Lido mounts screwed into the side of the console toward the bottom, along with the speaker to the Orion (which I plan to relocate to a place I can hear better). As for the speaker for the Yaesu, I have it drilled in center console under my flexible armrest. As a coffee addict, I have both radios out of the way of the slide out cup holders that come out of the arm rest. The pictures of the outside antennas are a Larsen Dual-Band mounted at the front, as well as Maxrad 700/800MHz collinear (that I can plug into my BCD396T) and Maxrad shorty/phantom style antenna for the orion.

I plan to have other pictures soon, including a portable holder/charger that I got from Pro-Clip, as well as the same type holder for my Garmin Nuvi GPS that's also in my vehicle. One thing to note, the Orion remote head was a bit heavy for the Lido mount, thus an additional screw was tapped into the side of the console to help stabilize. Now it's not going anywhere.

Hope these pictures post fine, as this is the first time I've ever posted any of my photos on radioreference.

I first posted this in the wrong forum, the one for advise- but figured it would be good there as well for people that need advise or want to see how I did it, so please forgive the double post. Now I've got these install photos in the right spot. :)

Take care all!!

Attachments

• HPIM1129b.jpg
    HPIM1129b.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,223
  • HPIM1121b.jpg
    HPIM1121b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • HPIM1122b.jpg
    HPIM1122b.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Exterior1_AntennaShots.jpg
    Exterior1_AntennaShots.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,085
  • RoofView_Antennas1.jpg
    RoofView_Antennas1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,691

SCPD

QRT
I have an FT-8900 also. What antenna are you using for it? I didn't notice a real long antenna for the 10 meter portion of the 8900. I'm using the quad band Comet antenna and will be mounting it directly to the body. I have a vehicle with a fiberglass roof and had the quad bander mounted to a roof rack but could not get a decent SWR due to grounding issues. Hopefully mounting it directly into the body will clear up that problem.

pm1072

I have an FT-8900 also. What antenna are you using for it? I didn't notice a real long antenna for the 10 meter portion of the 8900. I'm using the quad band Comet antenna and will be mounting it directly to the body. I have a vehicle with a fiberglass roof and had the quad bander mounted to a roof rack but could not get a decent SWR due to grounding issues. Hopefully mounting it directly into the body will clear up that problem.

Yeah, the FT8900R is an awesome radio. Sure glad I got the remote kit for it. Currently, I'm not taking advantage of the 6m or 10m portion of it. I'm just running it on 2m and 440, and also using it to receive VHF/UHF public safety comms. Kind of short changing myself, but most activity that I'm into is on those two bands around in my parts. So those antennas pictured are all I'm using (in addition to the stock OnStar and XM that came standard that are also visible).

pm1072

Nice equipment, but you really need to work on those wires!

Oh yeah, I easily admit you're right there. Probably won't do much with the Orion, as there's not much to do with the thick control cable between the radio and the head, if I put under the carpet, it may puff it up too much for passengers and get damaged. As for the FT8900R that will be simple tucking those and tying those up. Going to try to get more pictures this weekend if time permits, including some night time shots and perhaps the side shots of the Lido mounts, etc....

pm1072

There are some additional pictures I took after adding my BCT396D with yet another Lido 300M flex mount. I also went to drilled in antennas with the help of a friend. They will show in the next series of pictures. I added a Streamlight Polystinger flashlight w/ mobile charger. In addition the speaker to the Orion was moved as it was on the passenger side of the console where I could barely hear it, particularly when passenger was riding there covering it with his/her leg. As mentioned the permanently drilled pictures will show up in the next post, as I'm limited to only 5 pics. The last and final thing is hooking up a Pyramid Vehicular Repeater that I have ready to connect up to my receive only 800 Orion, that I'm waiting for a friends help on.

Attachments

• HPIM1133.JPG
    HPIM1133.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,332
  • HPIM1136.JPG
    HPIM1136.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 8,326
  • HPIM1138.JPG
    HPIM1138.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,233
  • HPIM1139.JPG
    HPIM1139.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • HPIM1141.JPG
    HPIM1141.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,226

pm1072

These are the pictures that show the short Maxrad antennas, one for 800MHz that does an awesome job, and then the longer one will be for the vehicular repeater once it gets installed. The other picture shows the 700/800 MHz collinear antenna that's farther up front, of the factory XM antenna and the luggage rail. Then there's a few night-time pictures, that only came out so/so. Oh, I still do use the Larson 2/440 dual band radio that's up front on the fender for the Yaesu 8900R, that was in previous pics. That's it.....pretty much complete.

Attachments

• HPIM1143.JPG
    HPIM1143.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,300
  • HPIM1144.JPG
    HPIM1144.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,159
  • HPIM1148.JPG
    HPIM1148.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,238
  • HPIM1160.JPG
    HPIM1160.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,659

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The last and final thing is hooking up a Pyramid Vehicular Repeater that I have ready to connect up to my receive only 800 Orion, that I'm waiting for a friends help on.

Sounds neat, looking forward to reading about that.

roof.jpg

I had to look twice, thought you had a TON of antennas up there :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.