2005 Chevy Impala - Mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachSmith

I'm looking for a good trunk mount (for the lip of the trunk - nothing permanent) for my 800mhz antenna, scanner antenna, and dual band on the trunk. What have you used that works well? The Impala seems to have an odd trunk compared to other vehicles that I'm more familiar with, such as the Crown Vic. I'm buying my new antennas from the antenna farm, so if they carry something that will work, thats where I'd prefer to shop all in one. Thank you

ZachSmith

Thanks! But my primary concern is that the way the Impala's trunk is, it seals so tight I don't know if these would be compatible. The only way I can see something like this fitting is on the lip of the trunk itself rather than on the edge as many are. And the tight seal seems like it would crimp the cable. Has anyone else used this on their Impala?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You would have to put them on the front of the trunk by the glass. the cable is protected by the mount. The cable can be run in the frame of the trunk and down with the factory cable into the trunk. I have been doing this with the 3 letter agencies with their cell look alike for years and never had a leak or broken cable.

fineshot1

Thanks! But my primary concern is that the way the Impala's trunk is, it seals so tight I don't know if these would be compatible. The only way I can see something like this fitting is on the lip of the trunk itself rather than on the edge as many are. And the tight seal seems like it would crimp the cable. Has anyone else used this on their Impala?

I use a trunk lip mount on my 2000 impala ls and have no problem and its an el-cheapo
with no brand name on it i got at a local hamfest.

ZachSmith

I use a trunk lip mount on my 2000 impala ls and have no problem and its an el-cheapo
with no brand name on it i got at a local hamfest.

Fineshort, could you post a picture possibly? I would really appreciate it.

And FFPM571, thanks. But will being that close to the close cause any decrease in performance?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If your running 3 mounts center one , the other two move out by the hinges. I had one user that was running 3 motorola spectras off 3 trunk lips and never had an issue.

ZachSmith

I went and measured what the length of the antennas are (20" for the two outter antennas and 3.3" for the 800mhz) and the two 20" if mounted on the inn lip of the trunk seem like they would be put under a lot of stress when the trunk is opened and closed as they'd be pressed against the windshield. Am i misunderstanding, or am I just using unusually long antennas? One is for a scanner, the other for dual band mobile, and the third for an 800mhz radio.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I went and measured what the length of the antennas are (20" for the two outter antennas and 3.3" for the 800mhz) and the two 20" if mounted on the inn lip of the trunk seem like they would be put under a lot of stress when the trunk is opened and closed as they'd be pressed against the windshield. Am i misunderstanding, or am I just using unusually long antennas? One is for a scanner, the other for dual band mobile, and the third for an 800mhz radio.

That is normal. Not much you can do about it without modifying it. I had trunk lip mounts on my 04 Impala, and the antenna just *barely* tapped the window (tallest antenna was the Larsen 144/440/800 tribander). It's more of an issue with newer Impalas, where you have to modify the arm that raises the trunk lid up (I have some buddies that had that issue with their newer Impalas). I solved the problem by drilling holes and mounting the antennas permanently. Drilling solves a lot of problems.

ZachSmith

If anyone else has pictures of their Impala setup I'd really like to see them. I am considering drilling but I am concerned more for if I sell the car in the next few years. I guess it isn't too big of a deal for an 05 Impala though. It shall be aged by then anyways.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
If anyone else has pictures of their Impala setup I'd really like to see them. I am considering drilling but I am concerned more for if I sell the car in the next few years. I guess it isn't too big of a deal for an 05 Impala though. It shall be aged by then anyways.

Here is the latest rendition of my 04 Impala: http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/155173-newsphotog-rig-2-0-a.html

Also it is worth checking out timkilbride's ride, an 05 Impala: http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/157832-05-impala-re-worked.html

I wouldn't worry about drilling holes. The look much better, and I suppose they even work a little bit better too. I don't regret it. I even have one extra hole on my trunk lid!

Status
Not open for further replies.