• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2005 F150 mount ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakecharmer

I have an 05 F150 FX4 that has the full console that really kills alot of otherwisw usable space to mount stuff. I have decided not to install my CB but I do want to install my HAM and I think my scanner will just have to sit in a cup holder or something. Anyway, I need ideas on where to mount my Kenwood 241. I do have the overhead rail mount system and I was thinking that would be a cool place to mount it but not 100% on a good way to attach it to the rails. Anybody done this or have a better idea. And I should mention that drilling holes is not an option.

firetaz834

Do you have any current pictures of your vehicle interior that way we might be able to give you an idea of mounting suggestions.

snakecharmer

firetaz834 said:
Do you have any current pictures of your vehicle interior that way we might be able to give you an idea of mounting suggestions.

These are all I have at the moment. I don't have any of the overhead rail system. So far I am really leaning to doing something with it. Unfortunately the "modules" are pretty expensive and as far as I know only available from Ford so I might try dismantle and modify the one I have and do away with the sunglasses storage. I am totally open to better ideas though.

t33246a4mj7.jpg

t33246a6wm0.jpg

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
I mounted my 2055 in the console longways and a window mount antenna. I like the way the scanner is but the antenna could be better, but I dont want it to stand out. I have the same truck ex. with a sunroof.

snakecharmer

Just a little update here....

I gave up on the overhead console for a couple of reasons. One, the Ham would be too far back to be at a decent angle to see the display or play with the buttons. And I would still have had to find places for my scanners. I also decided I wanted the radio equipment invisible.

After much studying of the interior of my truck, I decided that the flow through console was my best bet. It has a large, deep storage compartment and the console also acts as a nice place for invisible wire runs. I struggled with the thought of losing the storage space but my design is easily reversible if I decide I can't live with it. I removed the console door/arm rest and trim plate and found that the inner storage compartment is held in with screws through the sides of the console which would make it real easy to attach a mounting panel. I built a carpeted panel out of 3/4" plywood to flush mount the radios into. It is still in progress but when complete, the armrest hinge will be remounted to the new panel and will cover the equipment when not in use. My only real hangup so far is that the hinge is spring loaded to stay open. The problem is that the latch mechanism is part of the storage tub that was removed. I will figure it out though.

Here is where I am at so far. There are actually 4 holes in the panel but 2 are covered in carpet at the moment. One of the compartments is a spot that my Pro-97 will lay in so that it will be flush and again covered by the console lid. The last compartment is DIN sized for when I get the cash for the digital scanner I want. I think until then I will make a removable DIN sized storage pocket to go in there.

dscn3411rv0.jpg

dscn3412fu5.jpg

af5rn

Wow, very nice! I don't guess you shot any in-process pics we can see? I'd like to see how you did it, and what is underneath the grey cover, bracket wise. Did you mount external speakers? What about the antennae? Again, very sweet job!

snakecharmer

Wow, very nice! I don't guess you shot any in-process pics we can see? I'd like to see how you did it, and what is underneath the grey cover, bracket wise. Did you mount external speakers? What about the antennae? Again, very sweet job!

I will try to pull it apart and snap a couple pictures this evening. I did not mount any speakers although I figured I would need to. I only have the one scanner operational at the moment but it actually sounds better in the console than out in the open so I am going to try to do without any extra speakers for the time being.

af5rn

I did not mount any speakers although I figured I would need to. I only have the one scanner operational at the moment but it actually sounds better in the console than out in the open...
ROFL! That figures! :lol:

I love it when things work out just the opposite of how we thought they would. But hey, that's cool for you!

snakecharmer

Here is the console with the bucket out and the upper trim panels off
dsc01491resizefh5.jpg

here is what the back of the mount panel looks like. Just a 10"x14" piece of 3/4" plywood. I attached the carpet with contact cement and stapled the back for good measure. The original plan called for brackets to hold the radios but the carpet makes for an extremely tight interference fit and they aren't moving. I might just leave it as is. I think I will be recovering it with black carpet though, the grey is not as close a match for my seats as I thought it would be and I'm weird like that.
dsc01492resizecx3.jpg

the panel is attached to the console sides with the 4 screws that attached the bucket and thats it.
dsc01493resizegs6.jpg

A shot of how the Ham sits in there. I was originally concerned about heat but once I got it in there, I think it is a non-issue. There is quite a bit of air space in there.
dsc01494resizedh7.jpg

and here is what the original console bucket looks like
dsc01497resizemg4.jpg

And as far as the antennas, the pics in the groundplane thread you replied to are as far as I have gotten. I really wanted to keep them back behind the cab but I am starting to consider installing the mag mounts on the roof. Not sure which direction I am going just yet. I only started working on it last evening so it is a work in progress and I am likely to change my mind several times until I get it to an acceptable state.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Did you already leave 2 holes pre-cut into the console?

Now, that's a pretty good install to be honest, and seems like even with the console and floor mounted shifter it isn't that bad for installing radios, and you can cover them pretty easy to avoid them being seen.

Why you didn't leave the original thing in there? you could have retained the hinge and doesn't seem to be that small, at least for the current equipment.

snakecharmer

Did you already leave 2 holes pre-cut into the console?

Now, that's a pretty good install to be honest, and seems like even with the console and floor mounted shifter it isn't that bad for installing radios, and you can cover them pretty easy to avoid them being seen.

Why you didn't leave the original thing in there? you could have retained the hinge and doesn't seem to be that small, at least for the current equipment.

The 2 extra openings are on purpose...yes. The rear most opening is standard DIN size to accommodate the new digital scanner I have my eye on. The other opening is to accommodate my Pro-97 hand held scanner. I haven't finished that part but there will basically just be a recess for the scanner to sit in and there will a hole at the top with the external antenna connection so that I can just set it in there and hook up the antenna or quickly remove it to take into the house or work.

I didn't leave the original tub in there because I am seriously opposed to drilling or cutting anything on my truck. I would have had to drill holes to run power and antenna wires through the tub and making a panel to fit with the tub in there would have been more difficult and just mounting equipment inside the tub doesn't work for me because it would have an unfinished appearance and visible wires. I don't do real well with that kind of thing. Now if I decide to remove the radios for whatever reason, I can reinstall the tub in a matter of minutes and no one will know anything was ever there.

The hinge will be reinstalled so that the original console cover will function normally and completely hide the whole deal. I only just started this project last evening so it is just kind of in a test fit stage. There is another panel that I still need to cut. It will fit vertical at the rear of the mount panel and the hinge will attach to it. I also plan to install a power port or possibly two next to the ham and scanner. Thats why they are offset to one side. One power port will be for a small goose neck light to illuminate the console.

af5rn

Very nice work, Bro! I really like it! Amazing how well those things hang in there without brackets.

I was thinking of doing something similar for my next install. Even drew up some plans. But I have zero woodworking skills. I'd have to pay a cabinetmaker to do it for me. Just as well off buying a Jotto Desk, lol.

snakecharmer

Very nice work, Bro! I really like it! Amazing how well those things hang in there without brackets.

I was thinking of doing something similar for my next install. Even drew up some plans. But I have zero woodworking skills. I'd have to pay a cabinetmaker to do it for me. Just as well off buying a Jotto Desk, lol.

Man I did that in like hour with a jig saw and ruler. No real skill involved. Best part is the free factor. My neighbor had the scrap plywood and I had the carpet and glue left over from when I installed a stereo in my boat. I do wish the carpet was black though.

....measure twice, cut once

snakecharmer

Well I bought two more scanners last night. One in a BCT8 that I plan to mount in the truck. I think I will cut a new mount panel that will move the BCT8 up further forward and build a storage pocket in the rear portion of the panel. I will post some updated pictures when I get it finished.

snakecharmer

Well I got a chance to work on it a little more last night and I went a little different direction. I didn't have the BCT8 when I built the mount panel but did have a single DIN sized opening in the panel planning for a digital scanner in the future. It also had a spot to accommodate my PRO-97 handheld but now that I have the BCT8, there is no need for that. I decided the BCT8 needed to be in the front instead of far rear and needed to do away with the handheld opening but didn't feel like cutting all the openings again. What I did was to modify the existing panel by rotating it 180* and moving the two small openings forward. I made the panel sort of modular by cutting that section out, rotating it and screwing it back to the main panel in the position where the handheld opening originally was. The modular panel design will also be easy to modify if I decide to upgrade my 2 meter. I can just unscrew that section of the panel rather than rebuilding the entire thing.

My original idea was to make the entire thing hinged to get to the wiring easily if needed and also to have all three radios mounted in their own "module" but the current design wouldn't really accommodate that. I believe I will end up rebuilding it again at some point. The new design will space the radios closer together and also move them all forward so that I can build in some for of small storage cubby at the rear of the panel. There is allot of real estate going to waste there. The individual modules I would like to make out of aluminum plate.

I still haven't got the hinge panel built so that the console cover will function as factory but its on my list. I will probably leave it as is for a while other that painting the DIN cage flat black. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I like the charcoal carpet much better than the original grey though. Other that the hinge panel, I will probably hold off on building a new panel until I get a new 2 meter.

Constructive criticism?
dsc01660resizehw6.jpg

dsc01659resizerh2.jpg

kc8qch

That is Pretty awesome looking. Personally, I would leave the console cover off it, just stick it behind the seats when you are driving. When you get somewhere, you can fit it back into place temporarily. I think having the huge cover hing up and trying to opperate the radios would annoy me too much. Plus it looks pretty neat and tidy the way it is.

But that is just one truck owners opinion... :)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.