2005 Grand Prix GXP in dash Pro-652

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprite1741

Just got a pro-652 from ebay. Working with an onstar roof mount with an 7 inch aftermarket antenna. I ordered a 16 inch black antenna but it's not here yet. I wanted oem looks and stealth.

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,090

sprite1741

Thanks. There is no decent place to mount a scanner in this car other than where I did. I picked the RS pro because of the closer color match. There was just a storage space under the climate control that happens to be a perfect din fit. Just had to open up the back of it. I didn't want a magnet or glass mount antenna so the unused onstar works great and universal fm antennas fit and they come in many lengths and colors.

SCPD

QRT
Now that's a perfect fit!. It the 652 almost looks it came with the car and when you install the antenna it will be defiantly stealth. Nice install and an awesome car to boot..

PACNWDude

Very nice. I did the same thing with my Grand Prix and two Vertex VX-3200 radios in 2004. (Picture in my shack photos.) Still have the car, and the radios have performed perfectly. I used small NMO trunk lip antennas since our AM/FM one is in the rear window, so people just think they are for the stereo anyway.

I never liked that huge storage hole in the dash and a radio does fit very well there. Great job and thank you for sharing.

sprite1741

Nice setup. I thought about putting a 2 meter radio in but them ham bands are barley used here. Get more use out of the scanner. I had to cut the back off the the storage compartment but it can be put back together if need be. I like keeping this car original. I bought it right off the truck in 05 and it's been flawless so I am keeping it. I have been using my hand held's but it's past time I did it right. Just glad I have the onstar mount that works for this. They changed in later years.

sprite1741

I did some testing with borrowed antennas including a tri-band mag mount scanner antenna, a 2 meter /440 mag mount. I found the bee sting I have works better at 700 and equal at 460 Mhz. The tri band was better on VHF, checking the weather band. For what I listen to the most (700Mhz) that silver Bee Sting is tops, and only $2. I ordered a black one and will see which one looks best and keep the other for a spare. Not too good at low band i would think, but I tried a 49 MHz search and drove around and did find many low power home signals. The little thing works, is cheap and stealth. Anyone would just think it is a normal car antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.