• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2005 Tahoe Power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NodrogCop

Hi all --

I am hooking up a pro2025 scanner in my 05 tahoe until I can get a 996 (hopefully by fall). Everything is good to go except that when I hook to the fuse box and ground it, I don't have power. This is the first install for me in the Tahoe.

I was in a hurry, but was using the screws that hold the dash below the steering wheel as ground, and one of the fuses in the box (with an appropriate kit with fuseholder and extra wire) as power.

Any thoughts? I've done 2 way installs using the battery and grounds in hood, but was hoping to not have to do that for this install. Everything went so smoothly until the last thing...to hook up the power. :/

and all help appreciated.

Gordon

swstow

Premium Subscriber
first, is it a police or cilivian
second, hoser is right you need a test light to see if the fuse is hot all the time , with key in run position or a start only hot fuse
third run your ground to the driver side kick panel onder the plastic cover you will find a good ground

oh a stupid question but must be asked is their a fuse in the in line plastic holder

NodrogCop

I'm assuming the fuses are switched accessory, as that's how they were in the Silverado. I was checking with the key in the on and off position.

There is indeed a fuse in the inline holder, and it's okay.

Thanks for the tip on the ground, I'll look into that in the morning.

...and it's a civilian version.

Gordon

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Hi all --

I am hooking up a pro2025 scanner in my 05 tahoe until I can get a 996 (hopefully by fall). Everything is good to go except that when I hook to the fuse box and ground it, I don't have power. This is the first install for me in the Tahoe.

I was in a hurry, but was using the screws that hold the dash below the steering wheel as ground, and one of the fuses in the box (with an appropriate kit with fuseholder and extra wire) as power.

Any thoughts? I've done 2 way installs using the battery and grounds in hood, but was hoping to not have to do that for this install. Everything went so smoothly until the last thing...to hook up the power. :/

and all help appreciated.

Gordon
Might want to check if the screws you connected to are actually grounded, my wife had a '96 Jimmy and I did the original after market stereo install, there are a lot of screws that just attach into plastic, my $.02 worth.

MESDA6

Premium Subscriber
Tahoe Power Issue

I had a similar issue trying to use the under dash screws in my Chevy Astro. The screws were just long enough to make contact with the metal, and when you put a wiring lug between the head and the dash they would not make contact. I had to use a longer screw in order to make a good contact for the ground.

Hope it turns out to be this simple.

NodrogCop

The problem is solved. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the grounding wire was bad. Replaced it and everything works just fine. The screws I was using as grounds just under the dash panel below the steering wheel work well as grounds.

it's a temp install as a BCT15 is on the way, but I'll try and get pics up in the photo forum.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.