2006 Ford Five Hundred Wilson Sleek

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcm4368

Recently acquired this Five Hundred. Our father in law purchased it new. I decided not to install the Motorola UHF as there is a lack of space and my wife rarely used it anyways. We still wanted reliable hands free communications via phone. After seeing everyone's reviews and comments on the Pro-Clip brackets, I figured this would be the perfect time to try one. Install was quick and easy. As some may have followed our previous installs, we have Motorola UHF radios and Wilson Sleeks in all our equipment, so I reused the Sleek 4G and antenna from the previous vehicle (2002 Windstar). The antenna is a dual load Maxrad that has been in service for 10+ years on multiple vehicles. We've run them on our trucks, etc for years and have had good luck with them, so we didn't change it for this application. A Wilson antenna might have been a better option as it would help with data frequencies. We are mainly concerned with voice, so we never made the switch. It's mounted on the passenger side and coax was routed under the sill plate to the cradle. With a lack of 12V sockets, I made a new power harness using a 12V extension cord with the male end removed. I didn't want to cut and splice wires in the car, so I tapped into a 12V keyed power source in the fuse block. I also installed an inline fuse holder in the new harness. The side panels on the console remove easily and there was plenty of room to route everything. I then plugged in the factory Sleek power cord and zip tied the loose wire to a support in the console. I don't like "holes" or "hacked" wiring and this allows everything to be removed quickly when it's time to sell. For hands free, we either use a Blue Ant visor speaker or a headset. This install isn't elaborate, nor was it very time consuming, but should provide safe communications.

Trent

Attachments

• 100_1331.jpg
    100_1331.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,059
  • 100_1332.jpg
    100_1332.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 100_1333.jpg
    100_1333.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,162

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks good. I have the Sleek 4G as well - good booster! I have the Wilson antenna on the roof with mine but I would imagine your antenna really pulls in the signal for voice when on the fringes.

Have you considered using the charging adapter to run between the cradle and the phone? Then you wouldn't have to have the phone charging cord running to the cig plug. Just an idea.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about, on Wilson's site:
Micro - Mini USB Charging Adapter | Store | Wilson Electronics

tcm4368

Yes I have....just never slowed down to order them...do they charge the phone as quick as the regular charger?. As for the antenna, we run in mostly rural areas, and I've run these since the "bag phone" days on KS Cellular and Alltel and now Verizon. They have worked well for us. With more towers being put into service, we could probably run the 3dB antennas and get by just fine though. Thanks for the comments

Trent

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes I have....just never slowed down to order them...do they charge the phone as quick as the regular charger?. As for the antenna, we run in mostly rural areas, and I've run these since the "bag phone" days on KS Cellular and Alltel and now Verizon. They have worked well for us. With more towers being put into service, we could probably run the 3dB antennas and get by just fine though. Thanks for the comments

Trent

I'm not sure about the charge time, honestly, but I would think it is just a pass through so probably would be about the same. Just a guess, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.