2006 Impala 9C1 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0LDK

Figured I'd follow in KG4LEO's footsteps.

Just purchased an '06 Impala 9C1 with 57k on the odometer. Previously used as a D.A.R.E. vehicle and has seen almost no patrol use, it's in immaculate condition for what it is. What do I do? I'm a Volunteer Firefighter, Auxiliary PD, and storm chaser for a Northeast Kansas TV station, I use every bit of a purpose built vehicle.

The siren/light controller seen in the Troy console and lightbar atop will be removed as I'm not authorized to have lights/sirens, for those who care.

Here's a few pictures taken by the dealership, I'll upload my own detailed pictures this week.
3418520_f2831749-67ee-449e-a531-26c93c76114e.jpg

3418520_09041ccf-f205-499f-91d3-c1d96d7238d0.jpg

3418520_47d3ebda-2500-4b5c-8ee9-06ddeff7d464.jpg

Here's what I have planned..
- Windshield/Dash
HD Vehicle DVR (Cheapy China made)
HD Logitech Webcam (Streaming live storm video)
Windshield Mount for JVC Everio Camcorder
Garmin Nuvi 40LM
Droid Windshield Mount
Motorola Bluetooth Handsfree Kit
Wilson 801240 Wireless Cellular Amplifier
Uniden BCD396XT Digital Scanner
GPS Puck for Digital Scanner?
GPS Puck for Laptop

- Console
PRO-2055 Conventional Scanner
Kenwood TM-V71A Dual Band Transceiver
Motorola GTX 900Mhz 33cm Transceiver
Motorola Spectra 110 Watt VHF Transceiver (has all in one mic/control head to conserve space)
Dell B130 Laptop on mount
Rechargeable LED Flashlight of some kind

- Trunk Tray
Motorola Spectra Transceiver
900 Watt Inverter
Byonics APRS

- Antennas
Roof Front - Wilson Tri-Band NMO Cellular Antenna w/ 0-6000Mhz Coax (Wilson AMP)
Roof Rear - Laird 1/4 Wave VHF NMO Antenna (Spectra VHF)
Trunk Left Front - Laird High Gain 900Mhz NMO Antenna (GTX 900Mhz)
Trunk Left Rear - Comet B-10 Dual Band Unity NMO Antenna (Kenwood TM-V71A)
Trunk Right Front - Laird 1/4 Wave VHF NMO Antenna (APRS)
Trunk Left Front - Laird Wideband Scanner Antenna (PRO-2055)

Anywho, should be a fun install. I'll begin updates once I dig in! Next up is the 2002 Trailblazer, has quite a bit installed but I'll be finalizing after the Impala.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Looks good so far, can't wait to see more pics

kjfswkr

The siren/light controller seen in the Troy console and lightbar atop will be removed as I'm not authorized to have lights/sirens, for those who care.

They don't allow you to have lights as a volunteer firefighter? Move up to new Hampshire, we can have lights and sirens and a machine gun mounted if so inclined.

looks good

kevin

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
cant wait to see the final configuration... good luck and happy install

KD0LDK

They don't allow you to have lights as a volunteer firefighter? Move up to new Hampshire, we can have lights and sirens and a machine gun mounted if so inclined.

looks good

kevin

Unfortunately we can't around here. It was foreign to me too.. just 1 county East of here (Shawnee) is where I grew up and all Volunteer Firefighters have lights/sirens. After they pass probation and an EVOC course. My Chief and Asst Chief do have lights/sirens but that was back when they issued emergency vehicle permits for Pottawatomie county, since that time they've ceased issuing them. It's pretty frustrating at times.

Thanks for the comments everybody, headed to pick it up right now!

gambill1

What kind of winshield mount are you going to use for your camcorder?
I have one of those cheapy hd dvr for my truck. not bad for the price.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Have fun with the install ! I always like getting a new car and figuring out where to put stuff. That car has plenty of room for radios. Like to see it when you're finished with it.

KD0LDK

What kind of winshield mount are you going to use for your camcorder?
I have one of those cheapy hd dvr for my truck. not bad for the price.

I bought a somewhat off-brand camera mount off eBay. You'll notice eBay is my preferred buying medium :p

The cheapy DVR arrived yesterday but I'm having issues with it. Seems like anytime I press a button the screen artifacts and it freezes. May have to RMA it..

That is a good looking car. Cant wait to see what your going to do with it.

Thanks! Digging into it today, still has a cage in the back which needs to come out and I'm going to replace it with some storage. This car won't be a 4 person car, so I'm still working on what I want to do with the back.

Have fun with the install ! I always like getting a new car and figuring out where to put stuff. That car has plenty of room for radios. Like to see it when you're finished with it.

Thanks! Yea it's a blast. With my trailblazer I've added stuff over time so it needs a rebuild from scratch. I was able to finance enough to purchase equipment for the Impala so I can do it all at one time and be done with it, it'll make the install much cleaner and easier.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Kyle I'm flattered. This is going to be fun to watch and I can't wait to see it in person.

KD0LDK

Thanks Kyle I'm flattered. This is going to be fun to watch and I can't wait to see it in person.

Well we can trade keys then, you can drive the Impala and I'll drive the Tahoe for a bit! Lol :p

Alrighty guys, here's what's arrived so far.. still awaiting antennae and a few odds and ends. Here's at least what'll be in the console, the laptop, TM-V71A, Motorola GTX, the Spectra control head/mic, Pro-2055, GPS pucks, Garmin GPS, one DVR, a couple LED flashlights, external speakers, etc.

IMG_20111028_180156.jpg

I'll actually start working on the car this Sunday so I'll have more pictures of the car itself this weekend.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Trade keys? Interesting possibilities!

This is going to be a lot of fun I can tell.

The V71 is one heck of a radio, essentially a D710 without the TNC and the $130 difference in price. Welcome to the Kenwood side of the fence!

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
Great looking car. Can't wait to see it finished. Also good to see a fellow Kansas member in here.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Kyle,

I have a set of remote cables for the D710 / V71 control head. Do you want them?

DTFAudio

Good looking car. Its also good for all of the things you listed. Can't wait to see your setup when you get it done!

KD0LDK

I'm guessing that it will be a nice setup for you. I can't wait to see some pictures of the finished result.:D

Yep setup exactly the way I want for what I need, I'm a pretty picky person haha.

Great looking car. Can't wait to see it finished. Also good to see a fellow Kansas member in here.

Thanks! Yea no kidding, you're close too. I used to live at SW 45th and Fairlawn in Topeka, if you know where about that is. Moved to Manhattan for school.

Trade keys? Interesting possibilities!

This is going to be a lot of fun I can tell.

The V71 is one heck of a radio, essentially a D710 without the TNC and the $130 difference in price. Welcome to the Kenwood side of the fence!

Haha, well we'll have to at least checkout the rigs top to bottom. Yea it is I'm enjoying working through it day by day, the software for programming is great. I still have a LOT to learn about it though.

Kyle,

I have a set of remote cables for the D710 / V71 control head. Do you want them?

No biggie, the console is plenty deep for the radio, I'm planning on leaving it in there.

Good looking car. Its also good for all of the things you listed. Can't wait to see your setup when you get it done!

Thanks! I got a lot done today but still have a lot to do on the same page.

Here's what I got done today!

Started in the front of the car and cleaned out the old wiring the dealerships left in the car, tore a bunch of clipped wires and cleaned up un-safe ends. Wasn't too happy about all that... After all the wiring was sorted out I removed the plastic seats in the rear. My plan for the rear is to make shelves and storage. This car isn't going to be more than a 2 person car. It's really my duty car for fire/chasing and pd duties, I'll leave the people movin' to the Trailblazer. I did leave the partition behind the passenger seat and the metal frame, middle partition is removed. The partition is THICK plastic and makes a great spot to mount external speakers, chargers, my helmet, etc. Not to mention adds a bit more reinforcement to the roof in case of a rollover. (Hope I never need it.)

As of today the basics are functional, still plenty to go. Kenwood dual-bander is operational on VHF only (until antennae arrive) and the Pro-2055 is back to scanning.

IMG_20111030_120626.jpg

Here's the back of the car with plastic prisoner seats and the partition still installed.

IMG_20111030_160638.jpg

I only have 2 external speakers mounted thus far, one for the scanner and one for the Kenwood. Wiring will be cleaned up once I'm all said and done.

IMG_20111030_120638.jpg

Here's the Troy console completely stripped and ready to roll! The laptop mount didn't get touched today, have some reinforcement that needs to be done to the base.

IMG_20111030_160633.jpg

Have some basic wiring done. Installed here is the ground bolt I'm using and the solenoid for all of the front components. I found out the rear power stud already has a solenoid under the hood, so all the power is switched on ignition/delayed accessory which is one less thing to do. I am using inline fuses for everything, not my preferred way of fusing. I usually recommend using a fuse block but I really don't have too many components and couldn't justify a fuse block for these.

IMG_20111030_161612.jpg

Pro-2055 is hangin out, more wiring done.

IMG_20111030_182518.jpg

Here's the concept for the console. Clearly have some finishing touches to do but you get the idea. I still have plenty of room below for further equipment, contemplating putting a Spectra control head in instead of the all-in-one mic/head. Still undecided.

IMG_20111030_161557.jpg

Here's my Droid mount and the cheapy DVR on the windshield. All of the windshield components are tied to the solenoid in the console. The car is completely turn key, no switches to mess with.

IMG_20111030_161607.jpg

And the Garmin..

IMG_20111030_132823.jpg

Here's the driver side l-bracket NMO mounts.

IMG_20111030_141123.jpg

IMG_20111030_141118.jpg

Again, trunk closed.

IMG_20111030_141055.jpg

And here's the passenger side with antennae.

IMG_20111030_182622.jpg

And last but not least, a little customization never hurt anybody :p

I got a pretty good chunk of stuff done today, plenty left! Hoping to get an hour or so of work in tomorrow.

- Kyle

Last edited:

KD0LDK

Looks great. I'm pretty jealous. You say you are along with being a HAM a volunteer firefighter and auxiliary PD?

Yessir all of the above and storm chasing for a local TV station, don't do much auxiliary PD with my POV but if we have something large happen I prefer to be in my POV for traffic rather than something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.