• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Impala ignition wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

adko701

Feed Provider
I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LS civilian package and I am trying to wire a Motorola CDM1250 radio, FT-90R, and a GPS to the ignition. Does anyone know where I can "tap" into the fuse panel with fuse taps? I want everything to turn on with the ignition. PLEASE HELP!!

jfhtm350

You will need to get a test light or multimeter to figure that out. Do you know how many amps all of those things total? Turn off the ignition, pull a fuse out, ground the wire on the test light or black wire of the multimeter, touch one of the metal sides where the fuse was and turn on the ignition. If the light was on before the ignition was turned on, that is hot all the time. If the light does not come on then try the other side where the fuse was. The side that lights up or shows voltage on a multimeter is where you want your fuse tap. If you put it on the other side the extra amperage is going through the fuse you just pulled out and is liable to blow the fuse.

You can also use the tap you just wired to trip a relay but that is alot of extra wiring. Personally I run my stuff straight to the battery.

If you find any yellow wires, do not mess with those period. Those are for the airbags and are subject to blow out if you mess with the wires.

K4APR

I'm embarrassed to say, but I am not sure what year my Impala is. I THINK '06. Anyways, open the front doors. Look on the left and right side of the dash panels. There are TWO fuse panels. One on each side. In general, I think most of the switched fuses are on the left (driver's) side. Open it up, take a DMM with black to ground and red to each fuse and just cut the ignition off and on until you find one that switches with it. You don't have to start the car each time, just flip the ignition into the position right before you start the engine.

Keep in mind, you should NOT run all of these devices right off of this fuse point. You're best bet is to use a good 30A relay or even a solonoid to control voltage to these devices. Just use the switched voltage to engage/disengage the relay.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the Impalas, but the pickup has just one ignition power point. It's located on the relay panel (not the fuse panel) and i think it's for optional switched power to a trailer. Chevys are weird on how everything is powered. You might find something for a power port or even daytime running lights. Keep looking and make sure it stays on with ignition and off when the key is out. Then use KE4NYVs advice and use that to power a high amp relays coil. The relay can then be hooked to the battery and power all the good stuff.

Last edited:

adko701

Feed Provider
Thanks for the help! I purchased a relay...now I just need to find a spot to tap into. I think the DTRL fuse will work, but when I turn my lights off that also cuts it off. Let me know if anyone finds a spot!! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.