2006 Impala Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

szron

Finally, I have a car that both looks sharp and will be pretty easy to make a quality install in it.

Behold, the 2006 Impala. It took some time to find a column shiftier version in a good shape and in a good price but my hard work has paid off. On a side note everybody was giving me looks when I said that I'm specifically looking for the column shiftier version of the Impala.

For starters this is not a finished setup, this is basically what I could do as soon as I got the car and before I bought any crap for it.

Also a note: some pics were taken during the day with my cellphone and some this evening with my camera.

Rear view
SKpCZ87l.jpg

On the left is 800Mhz Motorola antenna for the 536HP and on the right is what used to be VHF/UHF antenna but having it on a tall truck and driving through a parking structure turned it into a UHF only antenna :D will be replaced. Also there will be added a third UHF only antenna dedicated for a Hytera DMR thats on the way.

vKuAb0Dl.jpg

Mounting is pretty straightforward. Trunk mounts, quick, easy, good looking and don't leave any holes.

L53LEWel.jpg

yxKCTDtl.jpg

This could use a little work to make it look nicer. I can't really put it under the lid over the spare since it has to go under the seat but I'll try to make it looks a little bit nicer.

PTzm2mGl.jpg

Back seat area, a flex tube with the cords keeps it nice and tidy, It's above the ground since I ran out of tube but it doesn't really stand out this much and it shouldn't bother any back seat passengers.

jyHBpm9l.jpg

Iib30eMl.jpg

This is a very temporary solution. I didn't want to drill into anything so I just put it under the armrest and it fits great. The sound is a little bit muffled but I keep it all the way up and I can hear it just right. Can't really manipulate it tho.

LGXXoD4l.jpg

This is where the magic will happen. I'm thinking about getting a console to mount my crap there. I'm looking at few models right now and I need to see if the middle part of the seat/cupholder will be in the way and if it will be how to get rid of it without any permanent changes. Anybody with a ham setup in a 06-13 Impala please help. Also thinking about getting a RIGrunner and taking apart the lighter panel and wiring it there. Since it's always hot I might want to put a Chargeguard there unless somebody could tell me how to set up a relay that would work when ignition is in accessory.

Gotta say it's damn good looking right now.

ndEaIrel.jpg

Sseo2BVl.jpg

Opinions&Ideas welcome

Last edited:

WB4CS

Looking good, off to a good start. I have a 2012 Impala with the 60/40 bench seat and column shift.

If you decide to "do it right" and drill an NMO mount, it should be easy. I'm not sure how different the 2006 and 2012 models are, but on mine, just remove the dome light cover and assembly, and drill. That places the mount at L/R center and just slightly towards the rear from F/B center. The trunk lid is also easily drilled into for mounts.

The part below the dash where the power plugs/cigarette lighter is, is a good place to mount a radio. There are also consoles that fit in between the seats for those cars.

Here are a few pics of mine, although they are old pics. I've since changed radios and antennas, but gives you an idea of what I mean.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...chevrolet-impala-ltz-install.html#post2007105

WB4CS

Huh, are the column shifter versions only for Government use or something?

The Impala (Civilian model) has had the option for a column shifter on the 8th and 9th Generation (2000-2013) models.

When ordering the car, you chose a model that included 60/40 bench seats up front, and that deleted the center console/shifter and added the column shifter. It wasn't a very popular package option, so you don't see it much. I believe Chevy offered that option because the PPV Impala had bucket seats (basically the 60/40 seats without the center seat) and the column shift.

When the car was redesigned in 2014 Chevy dropped the 60/40 bench seat and column shifter for the Civilian model, but the PPV model still offers the bucket seats and column shift.

I hate that car manufacturers have gone away from column shifters and towards the "automatic stick" on the center console. Really makes a front seat feel cramped. To my knowledge, there are no longer any passenger cars being made that have a colmun shifter. I think the Lincoln Towncar and Chevy Impala were the last two vehicles with that option, 2011 being that last year the Towncar was produced and Chevy removing the option in the 2014 Impala. The Ford Police Interceptor (Taurus), Impala and Caprice PPV, and Doge Charger Police all still offer the column shifter I believe.

SCPD

QRT
Impala

Chevrolet makes two Impala PPVs. The 9c1 has the bucket seats, the 9c3 is considered an unmarked package and has the 60/40 seat. The 2014 Impala PPV and fleet cars still have the column shifter. They are now called the Impala Limited, and are carryovers from the 2013 models. The new model "civilian" Impala is a different car.

The first versions of the Caprice PPV did not have column shifters. The new ones do. I am not sure if that changed in 2013 or 2014.

SCPD

QRT
You could tap into the radio power wire for the relay trigger. The radio power wire should be hot in accessory and run.

There also should be some fuses in the fuse panel that are hot in accessory and run. You could get switched power there also using a fuse tap.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Trust me on this and trust no other. Large diameter wire with a big fuse direct to the battery for power and use a fuse block for each device. The list of people that have burnt their installs up because they didn't follow my advice is LONG and distinguished.

Leave your cig lighter alone.

szron

WX4EMT what I was gonna do is take apart the whole cig area, cut the lighter outlets and tap directly there. What's your take on that idea?

Also Impala Limited will be in production up until 2016 and can be ordered with a bench seat/column shiftier edition. See GM Fleet website.

Status
Not open for further replies.