• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Jeep Liberty antenna mounting suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty, and want to install a NMO mount in the roof for a Phantom antenna. I'm not squeamish about drilling a hole in the roof, and I prefer the clean look of the NMO mount.
Has anyone done such an install, and if so, any tips on where to drill and run the cable?
If possible, I'd like a location that I can get to from the inside, so I can use a 3/8" NMO mount, but will settle for a 3/4" mount, even though I'll have to either borrow or buy a 3/4" drill bit.

I searched the forums here, and didn't see anything specific to this.

Thanks in advance.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I have the same year/model Liberty. I drilled it, installed it, took pics, and posted it all here on RR in 2007. Here's the link:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...on-forum/74805-jeep-liberty-install-pics.html

EPILOGUE- This antenna was far taller than the clearance into my garage, which is why I got a foldover antenna. Each time before entering the garage I would stop, step out and foldover the antenna. It worked great for months. One day my mind was elsewhere and I drove in without stopping. Tore my roof open like a can opener on a tunafish can. I nearly had a heart attack. BE CAREFUL with low clearances if you are doing a permanent mount. I thought this foldover antenna would break away, but it did not. After the repair, I switched to a a Comet flexible dual-bander that simply flexes when I go in/out of the garage.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
popnokick, I did see your original post, which has given me some ideas.

Did you drill above the middle dome light, or the front? I'm thinking of using the front since it would not interfere with the luggage rack.
The Phantom antenna I plan on using is barely 3" tall, but your cautions are noted! My garage door isn't very tall!
Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I pulled out the dome light assembly that is directly above the rear cargo area. I guess you'd call that the middle dome light. Then I drilled a pilot hole straight up thru the roof, and completed the hole working from the roof downward outside the car. I snaked the coax across the top of the headliner, down the passenger side rear door post, then along the floor next to the door channel. I only went as far as underneath the front passenger seat because my Alinco radio is a remote head with the main unit under the seat. But I could have easily gone all the way up under the dashboard with the coax.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Thanks!

I ended up doing something similar, but from the front dome light. I had a 3/8" NMO mount, but since I was able to install it from inside, I didn't have to buy anything. I snaked the cable down the passenger side A post and then under the carpet. The scanner is mounted on the passenger side of the center console and I was able to tuck the cable under the console. Looks pretty nice, IMHO.

Mike-KC8OWL

I have an '07 Jeep Liberty and I have two (2) NMO mounts on the roof. The first is directly over the front dome light and has a 6" UHF antenna attached. This is a very easy place for snaking coax through. The second is near the rear of the roof, right in front of the satellite radio antenna - this was another easy spot for working with coax without having to pull down much of the headliner.

kvetreno

I would recommend spending the money and buying an antenna hole saw from one of the commercial antenna vendors. I know places like tessco sell them. They don't let you cut to deep, i.e. into the headliner, and they have finer teeth than normal holesaws so they make a nice clean cut. I think I spent 20 bucks on mine and have used it for years, perfect hole everytime...

robd

Hey I had an 05 liberty and used a side mount antennta on the hood of the car worked great and no holes:) used a commet mount worked great when it was time to sell the car out it came with no problems!

Robert

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I would recommend spending the money and buying an antenna hole saw from one of the commercial antenna vendors. I know places like tessco sell them. They don't let you cut to deep, i.e. into the headliner, and they have finer teeth than normal holesaws so they make a nice clean cut. I think I spent 20 bucks on mine and have used it for years, perfect hole everytime...

If you can get 'em they're great. If you just want to get 'r done, buy a generic 3/4 hole saw from your local big box. Good hint. Multiple wraps of black tape 1/8" above the cuttin' teeth will prevent slip through and headliner damage. I use this when antenna hole saw goes MIA.

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Sorry I missed some of the later posts.
As an alternate suggestion to the 3/4" hole: if you can get to the bottom of the area you're looking to mount an NMO antenna, you can get NMO's that mount in a 3/8" hole. The 3/8" mounts aren't as common as the 3/4" mounts, but they're out there (Tessco sells them, for example). For me it's hard to justify the cost of a 3/4" hole saw that only gets used every couple of years, but I've got plenty of 3/8" bits.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post some photos of the antenna and radio installation when I get a chance.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Here are some photos, as promised.
The first is from inside, directly above where the front dome light goes, and the other is the finished installation.

Attachments

• 2010-04-25 16.13.18.jpg
    2010-04-25 16.13.18.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,075
  • 2010-04-25 16.14.13.jpg
    2010-04-25 16.14.13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 5,411
Status
Not open for further replies.