• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Silverado Strobes (and other items)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramedszaf

Looking for advise in how to mount and run the appropriate cables/wiring in my 2006 Silverado.

I am stumped how to get the wiring from the tail lights to wherever the strobe pack will go (suggestions welcomed!)

I am also looking for something that will directly connect to the positive on my battery to wire to so I can get away from the spider in my fuse box. I was told there is something out there but haven't found it yet. Help!

af5rn

Hmmm... now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever even seen it done on a pickup truck. That does raise an interesting question. Sounds like you're going to have to get some wire wrap conduit to run your wires from the cab to the tail lights. If you have a toolbox, probably the best way to go about it is to simply run a power wire to the tool box and put the power supply in the box. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with a big bundle of wires to run out of your cab, that will require a big hole in the cab. You could attempt to weatherise your power pack and mount it under the bed, but I don't think I'd risk it, considering what those things cost.

I would agree with Jim that elightbars is populated by a lot of highly experienced whackers who may be better suited to help you. Those are guys who install twelve-thousand dollars worth of LEDs and strobes on cars worth less than a thousand dollars everyday. I'm betting someone who has done it multiple times will tell you exactly how to do it within an hour of asking. Good luck!

abwalker

Silverado Strobes

I have a 2005 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab with the center console in it. I installed Hideaways on the four corners of the truck. From the rear, I ran the passenger side cable across the rear crossmember to the drivers side, where I bundled it with the driver's side cable. I then ran them on top of the frame rail to the front fender area. I then pulled both front cables to the same location and drilled a hole in the metal firewall behind the plastic fender cover into the area behind and below the parking brake pedal in the passenger compartment (make sure you put a rubber grommet around it!). I installed the control head underneatht the center console cupholders and tapped power from the cigarette lighter plug that runs through the console toward the rear seats. I have a small metal 3 pole switch panel mounted on the front edge inside the console that controls the strobe operation. I punched a small hole in the floor of the console compartent and ran the power wires from the switches through the hole and forward to the control head. I have had this installed for a couple of years and have had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

FireMedic712

Save yourself some money and time, and have a more effective setup. Just buy (good quality) LED factory replacement bulbs and wire an LED flasher into your factory wiring coming from your fuse panel. Takes a hr or so to do a clean install.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
first decide where you wants the rear strobes mounted ( brake back-up or running )
install lights, run you cable down driver side frame rail as said earlier but make sure you use a cable wrap.

pull the inside trim against rear wall driver side and the floor step trim also, in the rear find a area to drill
1inch hole ( hole saw is best to use ) and run wires thru their.

if 2 dr mount strobe power pack on the litte rise at back wall, if 4dr mount under rear set driver side.

as far a power goes under the hood driver side their should be your fuse box, their is a poss feed wire feeding the box, run you wire from their down the driver side to the fire wall drill hole in safe area and run thru their down driver side trim /wire channel to power supply

make sure you seal all out side connection including strobe connections and were you mounted lights / use correct fuses or brakers

good luck

Last edited:

mcema699

Beware

Save yourself some money and time, and have a more effective setup. Just buy (good quality) LED factory replacement bulbs and wire an LED flasher into your factory wiring coming from your fuse panel. Takes a hr or so to do a clean install.

Consult a mechanic or other professional or get information about your vehicle before using this method on newer vehicles.
With ABS brake systems and other systems, the wire going to the lights are used to transmit information to onboard computers and such.

At least so I've been told, your experience and opinion may differ.

GBFD10

I had a 2005 Silverado and had 2 strobes in the headlights and 4 in the rear (backup and brake lights). Mount your strobe pack under the rear seats and fish the wires through the rear cabin vents (located behind the rear seats... you can make a hole in them w/a hole saw if you cant get the wires through.). Then just run your strobe wires along the frame-rail and up into the taillight housing. It took me probably 3-4 hours to install when I did them 3 years ago.

To get to the front lights and battery, I made a small (1/2 inch I think) hole in the floor under the rear seat (w/a grommet) and ran my wires through there. Once all wires were run and the lights were functional, I sealed the hole w/generous amounts of silicone.

PM me if you want more info...

Also, there is a red box to the right of your engine block that has a positive lead from the battery directly to it. You can remove the bolt and secure a wire (or 3) to it and run all of your power off of there. I'll look to see if I still have pictures but I tend to doubt it...

Last edited:

paramedszaf

I had a 2005 Silverado and had 2 strobes in the headlights and 4 in the rear (backup and brake lights). Mount your strobe pack under the rear seats and fish the wires through the rear cabin vents (located behind the rear seats... you can make a hole in them w/a hole saw if you cant get the wires through.). Then just run your strobe wires along the frame-rail and up into the taillight housing. It took me probably 3-4 hours to install when I did them 3 years ago.

To get to the front lights and battery, I made a small (1/2 inch I think) hole in the floor under the rear seat (w/a grommet) and ran my wires through there. Once all wires were run and the lights were functional, I sealed the hole w/generous amounts of silicone.

PM me if you want more info...

Also, there is a red box to the right of your engine block that has a positive lead from the battery directly to it. You can remove the bolt and secure a wire (or 3) to it and run all of your power off of there. I'll look to see if I still have pictures but I tend to doubt it...

If you can get me pics of how you ran te wires through the rear vent that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.