2006 Toyota Tacoma with 3 NMO Antennas

Shorter CB antenna?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

This is my Toyota Tacoma. I bought it new in 2006 when I was 16. Until today it has only 31,000 miles.

IMG_0039.jpg

The radio is a Yeasu FT7800, remotely mounted on my dash. It's screwed directly into my FD blue light.

It's in the perfect spot. I can use it while driving, and keep my eyes on the road and hand on the shifter.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

There are 3 antennas drilled into the roof. The one closest to the windshield is a 800Mhz unity gain quarter wave antenna... which goes to a Wilson Cellular Amplifier, the middle one is a 5/8 wave 3dB Laird UHF antenna (BB4503), and the tallest one is a 5/8 wave 3dB Laird VHF antenna (BB1443). I used fancy dual shielded coax for the runs, and cut them as short as possible... about 5 feet each.

I also have a 4 foot Firestik that I put up occasionally when I want to use CB. I keep it down most of the time because I hardly use CB, and the SWR is always high because the bed is composite and offers no ground plane.

The UHF and VHF antennas connect to the radio through a duplexer (Comet CF-4160). The coupler is directly connected with no coax to the radio with a N-Male to UHF-Male connector. The duplexer does not effect the SWR at all.

All the antennas are flat black. When I finish college I will be changing out the rims to black Mickey Thompsons. Love the Red/Black theme. The truck also has a 3 inch lift, 33 inch tires, aFe intake and Aero Turbine muffler.

emd001

Thats a good looking truck and clean looking install. I have the same cb antenna on my toolbox in the bed. I have a ground going from the cb mount to my cab frame and it works pretty well. CBs are fun in traffic.

jhooten

Get a dual band V/U antenna for the middle. Put an NMO-27 on the back for the CB. You could do away with the duplexer and the losses that go with it. That is what I have on mine, 900 on the pass side, V/U middle, MNO-27 drivers side of the cab, HF on the drivers side rear of the service bed.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yup, what he said.

I'd pick up an NMO270 (Larsen) for the dual band radio.

Put that on there as well as an NMO-27 and you'll be golden.

KM4WLV

I've been doing installs for about 12 years now, and have moved on to systems engineering & I'm agreeing with the concensus here.......... It's always best to avoid using a duplexer whenever possible, especially in a mobile application. You always want to try to go straight through from the antenna to the radio. I think the biggest reason you aren't experiencing more loss than what you are is using the double shielded coax.

Duplexers serve a great purpose when needed. When absoluetly needed. There are various dual band antennas out there & are very resonably priced. The NMO27 CB antenna by Larsen is a solid performer, and if you can get it moved to the roof I can assure you that you'll notice a huge improvement from your CB. And if I'm not mistaken you can get the NMO27 in black, and if not, there are others that have a comparable model in black (PCTel / Maxrad, Antennex, etc), so as to keep your red & black theme going.

If it's not hard to get to can we see a shot of where you've got the radio itself & the cell amp are hiding at ? :)

All in all......... A+

BTW, the way you have the head mounted to the rear of the Whelen light is pretty neat & I'm sure makes it easier to see. Do you have any problems as far as it getting to hot if its in direct sunlight for extended periods?

mrweather

Yes, the NMO27 coil is black and mates with the standard black W490 whip.

Very nice setup in any event!

Status
Not open for further replies.