• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 K Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

I'm very close to getting a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500K truck. This will be my primary vehicle for a few years and I want to get the install right.

I'm looking for advice, suggestions, etc. I would like to get a radio console for this truck. I also have the following equipment that would be mounted in the console:
* Motorola XTL-2500 Remote Head
* Uniden 996XT
* Uniden 996XT
* Switches (8)
* Whelen TACTLD1 traffic director controller
* Looking for some sort of voltage thing and possibly mount an Auto-Charge display in there as well.

I want to make sure the wiring is right. I have a Havis ChargeGaurd that will also be used. I'm looking to do everything from scratch. What kind of junction boxes for wiring do you use? What kind of console should I get? Links would be very helpful.

Thanks.

KJ4NFP

Your truck...

Kind of a tall order here...
I'd have to say, speaking as an installer, half of the fun is figuring it out. It certainly helps to have some direction though!

You have one piece of gear from Havis, so keep looking there, I have used Jottodesk, Troy and Havis. all have their pros and cons. If your truck has bucket seats, I believe the console that fits the tahoe will fit yours, but you should be able to tell with a little "googling". I like to run number six wire from the battery and into my own fuse panel so as to completely isolate my gear from the factory electrical system. Your charge guard should automatically sense AC power and will turn on the power in the console once the engine starts. I use the chargeguard to drive a 75 amp relay to power my consoles. One of the commonly overlooked issues is power distribution. Plan Plan Plan!! You'll read (or have read) that grounding is highly important. You may have to supplement the vehicle with aftermarket measures to ensure you have a good "clean" ground throughout the vehicle - all the way to the roof with antennas.

sfd119

What do you use for your fuse box? I'd like the main power wire to come into the chargeguard, and then from there go out into a distribution/fuse box.

sfd119

What about antenna mounting for all those radios?

I have been going with some EM VHF antennas on my vehicle now. I will have three total EMFLX-M10001s: EMFLX-M10001 - Poly Spring VHF/UHF BB Quarter-Wave Roof Mount 108-520 MHz Antenna - Wiscomm LLC

I will drill through the roof and put 3/4 mounts on there: 3080384M48 - Antennex 3/4 Hole Mount 17' with Mini-UHF Crimp - Wiscomm LLC

Basically, the Motorola XTL-2500 will have it's own antenna, along with each BCD996XTs having their own antenna. All I monitor/transmit on is VHF stuff so I don't need any other UHFs.

12dbsinad

Are you planning on having everything switched with ignition? I would assume so. If thats the case, in the past i have mounted a 8 position (or more depending on needs) ATC fuse panel inside the console. You can purchase them with a ground pad as well. I then ran a number 8 wire to the battery and mounted a 80 amp contactor near the fusebox under the hood. I got my ignition sense at that fuseblock and was easy. Make sure you fuse the main lead at the battery. Also, Contrary to whats in the instructions, do not run a ground lead from the battery into the console unless each negative lead is fused accordingly. There are good reasons for this. Ground directly to the body Good luck!

KJ4NFP

wiring/fuses

I too usually run number 8 or 6 (depending on the need) to an ATC fuse panel in the console. The chargeguard is only running the 75 amp relay which interconnects the number 8 wire to the fuse panel. 60amp or 100 amp on the number 8 at the battery.

Huge fan of larsen antennas... I use tessco religiously.

Colton25

Premium Subscriber
If the chargeguard is only rated for 30 amps how are running 75 through it with no issues?

Kind of a tall order here...

I'd have to say, speaking as an installer, half of the fun is figuring it out. It certainly helps to have some direction though!

You have one piece of gear from Havis, so keep looking there, I have used Jottodesk, Troy and Havis. all have their pros and cons. If your truck has bucket seats, I believe the console that fits the tahoe will fit yours, but you should be able to tell with a little "googling". I like to run number six wire from the battery and into my own fuse panel so as to completely isolate my gear from the factory electrical system. Your charge guard should automatically sense AC power and will turn on the power in the console once the engine starts. I use the chargeguard to drive a 75 amp relay to power my consoles. One of the commonly overlooked issues is power distribution. Plan Plan Plan!! You'll read (or have read) that grounding is highly important. You may have to supplement the vehicle with aftermarket measures to ensure you have a good "clean" ground throughout the vehicle - all the way to the roof with antennas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
If the chargeguard is only rated for 30 amps how are running 75 through it with no issues?
If I understand the install correctly, the Charge Guard controls only the relay's control side which probably draws an amp or less. The relay is rated at 75 amps and that power goes from the battery through the power side of the relay and then out to the various systems. The main power never goes through the Charge Guard.

Colton25

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any pictures that I can reference to? What I'm getting is the main power goes to a relay, and the ignition goes from its source to the chargeguard then on to the relay to tie in with the main power and that then continues on to the items you are powering, is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.